Get the latest BPR news delivered free to your inbox daily. SIGN UP HERE
A leading member of the Trump campaign brushed away concerns voiced by Fox News host Sandra Smith and others that President Donald Trump’s rally in Nevada Sunday, in which many participants sat close together without masks, would become a COVID-19 “super-spreader” event.
In the Monday interview, Smith played video clips of the rally showing people mask-less and sitting close to each other in violation of the state’s Democratic governor, Steve Sisolak, who has also ordered that people cannot gather at such events in groups of 50 or more.
“You see that and you think about the enormous sacrifice we’ve made as Americans to…stop the spread of this virus,” Smith said, “and I’ll just ask you as a member of the president’s campaign why you saw this as a worth taking, to crowd those people, [Joe] Biden’s camp obviously making the case that this could be a ‘super-spreader event.’”
(Source: Fox News)
Erin Perrine, the Trump campaign’s press communications director, explained that supporters who came to the Hendersonville rally had their temperatures checked, were given masks, and were supplied with hand sanitizer.
But Perrine also suggested that there have been far fewer complaints about spreading coronavirus via mask-less rioting and protests involving large groups throughout the summer that began after the George Floyd incident in May.
“Under the First Amendment we are allowed to have a peaceful assembly of people,” she began.
“If you can violently riot in the streets, if you can violently protest in the streets, if you can go and gamble in a casino without any health or safety precautions, then the president can stand in front of supporters and have a conversation with them about what’s at stake here in 2020,” Perrine said.
Smith interrupted, saying, “It sounds like I have to say ‘two wrongs don’t make a right,’” adding that “this goes against the president’s own administration guidelines…the CDC guidelines when it comes to coronavirus.”
Perrine was unfazed.
“The American people can make the choice to join us in person or join us online,” she said. “That is there right as the American people. We are reopening this country and safely doing so.
“We have health and safety precautions where you don’t see those at any of those violent protests or riots,” Perrine continued. “We take health and safety seriously.”
Earlier in the interview, Smith hit Perrine over the president’s questioning of Biden’s reported decline in mental acuity, asking why with Trump down in polling he wouldn’t focus more on his accomplishments and issues that Americans have said they are concerned about.
“It’s certainly a question the American people need to ask,” she said. “Listen, if there’s a crisis in the world, it’s three in the morning, who do you want answering the phone at the White House?” Perrine said.
“President Trump…or Joe Biden, whose own campaign couldn’t even make a declarative statement on whether or not he uses a teleprompter for interviews? That’s a serious question for the American people and we’re gonna ask it,” Perrine added.
Jon is a staff writer for BizPac Review with 30 years' worth of reporting experience, as well as an author and U.S. Army veteran. He has a BA in political science from Ashford University and an MA in national security studies/intelligence analysis from American Military University.
Latest posts by Jon Dougherty (see all)
- Petition to Fox News: Replace Chris Wallace with Brit Hume as the host of Fox News Sunday - September 28, 2020
- Oregon police department removes ‘thin blue line’ graphic from patrol cars because it’s ‘divisive’ - September 28, 2020
- Jill Biden shuts down obedient Jake Tapper after question about Joe’s ‘gaffes’: ‘You can’t even go there’ - September 28, 2020