Get the latest BPR news delivered free to your inbox daily. SIGN UP HERE
CHECK OUT WeThePeople.store for best SWAG!
Trump campaign senior legal adviser Jenna Ellis announced Thursday that a cease and desist letter has been sent to the Biden campaign, and social media platforms over an ad based on the political hit piece put out last week by The Atlantic claiming President Trump disparaged members of the military, including those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
In an appearance on Fox Business Network’s “Making Money with Charles Payne,” Ellis said the Trump campaign is calling on Twitter and Facebook to be consistent in the application of their standards.
“We sent that from the campaign because the Biden campaign put out a false and misleading ad that is based on the Atlantic article which has unverified anonymous sources,” she told host Charles Payne. “And Twitter and Facebook absolutely should remove this ad, because if this had been from the Trump campaign that was based on false and unverifiable anonymous sources, they would have flagged it, of course, as misinformation. Why aren’t they treating the Biden campaign the same?”
(Source: Fox Business)
“We would have hoped that the Biden campaign would have treated President Trump and the misinformation from the mainstream media with honesty and integrity,” Ellis said. “They certainly are not doing that and so we’re calling on Facebook and Twitter to correct this mischaracterization and apply the rules equally and fairly.
Payne was in agreement that the social media platforms would have treated Trump differently, had he put out such an ad.
“There is no doubt if the shoes were on the other foot, or whatever the saying goes, they would have taken it down and put something on it,” he said. “Facebook has been very aggressive, and Twitter, very aggressive with President Trump. I’m surprised they allowed this ad to go up. ”
“Both Twitter and Facebook have used their policies to remove or flag tweets and postings by President Trump. Now, Twitter and Facebook — if they are truly trying to be fair arbiters of factually accurate statements — will be obligated to remove your False and Misleading Ad, which is based solely on cites to anonymous sources,” Ellis wrote in the letter directed to the Biden campaign.
The dishonest ad — which is still up — features Biden saying, “Mr. President, if you don’t respect our troops, you can’t lead them.”
It is seen here:
Mr. President, if you don’t respect our troops, you can’t lead them. pic.twitter.com/hcX9hGgdm5
— Joe Biden (@JoeBiden) September 4, 2020
As any conservative in tune with the now rampant censoring taking place on social media ahead of the November election can easily attest, such generous leeway would never be afforded to Trump’s campaign.
The Atlantic story has been largely debunked by a number of eyewitnesses on hand at the time of the alleged incident, including members of the military.
First lady Melania Trump made a “rare statement about politics” to insist that the story was not true:
In a rare statement about politics and attacks on her husband, @FLOTUS speaks up on the grotesque & clearly debunked Atlantic allegations. Speaks volumes. Thank you Mrs. Trump! https://t.co/LRcM91FuKc
— Tammy Bruce (@HeyTammyBruce) September 4, 2020
Even the author of the hit piece, Jeffrey Goldberg, seemed to agree that anonymous sourcing is “not good enough” in the face of the backlash.
“I share that view that it’s not good enough,” he said Monday on MSNBC. “But, like other reporters, I’m always balancing out the moral ambiguities and complications of anonymous sourcing with a public’s right to know.”
- Scarborough does his best to liken Gov DeSantis to an over-bearing ‘socialist’ in ridiculous morning spin - August 4, 2021
- Arkansas’ GOP governor regrets ban on mask mandates; DeSantis stands in breach for parents’ rights - August 4, 2021
- Newsmax’ Greg Kelly takes on lonely role of defending Cuomo and actually makes a good case - August 4, 2021