Get the latest BPR news delivered free to your inbox daily. SIGN UP HERE
With The Atlantic’s recent electioneering effort to convince the American people that President Donald Trump was nothing but contempt for U.S. veterans, including those who died in service to their country, a video has surfaced that effectively puts the matter to rest.
The unsubstantiated, anonymously-sourced political hit piece from Atlantic editor-in-chief Jeffrey Goldberg published late last week claimed Trump has no respect for the Armed Services or the heroes killed in action.
According to Goldberg’s reporting, the president said soldiers who died in battle are “losers” and “suckers,” as improbable as that sounds.
But Mark Simone, a talk radio host heard on WOR in New York City, tweeted a video of Trump talking about wounded Iraqi War veterans in a 2007 interview with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer.
With Trump having no sights on public office then, there was no political agenda at play in the video out by the president.
“People don’t know that for years he has been giving them free trips to Mar-a-Lago among many other donations to our veterans,” Simone said of vets in the tweet.
In the video, Trump is calling for the Unites States to get out of Iraq.
“Nobody talks about the soldiers that are coming back with no arms and no legs,” he tells Blitzer, before explaining that he has hosted some of these vets at Mar-a-Lago.
“The most beautiful people I’ve ever seen, but they’re missing arms and legs,” Trump said.
A number of people have disputed The Atlantic’s far-reaching claim, including former National Security Advisor John Bolton, who is not exactly on friendly terms with the president.
But former White House press secretary Sarah Sanders summed things up best when she called the story “malicious lies.”
“The story is an insult to journalism,” Sanders tweeted. “I would know, because I was there.”
The malicious lies about @realDonaldTrump from anonymous sources in the Atlantic are disgusting.
This story is an insult to journalism.
I would know, because I was there-> pic.twitter.com/pt7rDfwr8x
— Sarah Huckabee Sanders (@SarahHuckabee) September 6, 2020
With the election now with 60 days and polling not looking all that great for 2020 Democratic nominee Joe Biden, Goldberg promised there would be plenty more to come in the days ahead.
“I would fully expect more reporting to come out about this and more confirmation and new pieces of information in the coming days and weeks,” Goldberg said Sunday on CNN’s Reliable Sources.
Then again, when running with anonymous sources, the possibilities are endless.
President Trump took to Twitter Sunday to warn Americans that there is “a massive disinformation campaign” going on.
“They create false stories and then push them like has never been done before, even beyond the 2016 Campaign. It imperils our Country, and must stop now,” he tweeted.
In another tweet Sunday, the president called out Laurene Powell Jobs, the widow of Steve Jobs, who owns a majority stake in The Atlantic.
Powell Jobs reportedly donated at least $500,000 to Biden’s campaign this year, and Trump called on his supporters to contact her and let her know how they feel.
- Dashcam captures brutal robbery, pistol-whipping of Los Angeles Lyft driver - May 14, 2021
- ‘It was all lies’: Rebekah Jones’ media enabled grift against Gov DeSantis utterly put to rest - May 14, 2021
- US Army’s ‘woke’ recruitment ad featuring cartoons and lesbians complete contrast to Russian effort - May 14, 2021