Get the latest BPR news delivered free to your inbox daily. SIGN UP HERE.
Attorney General William Barr finally snapped back at Democrats in his House Judiciary Committee hearing when they denied his request for a break.
Barr slammed House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler as a “real class act” during his testimony Tuesday after the New York Democrat would not allow him to take a five-minute break to get some lunch.
(Source: Fox News)
“Mr. Chairman, could we take a five-minute break?” Barr asked near the end of a few hours at the hearing.
“No,” Nadler replied.
“I waited 45 minutes, an hour for you this morning,” Barr shot back, referring to the delay in the start of the hearing earlier Tuesday when Nadler had been involved in a minor car accident on the way to Capitol Hill. “I haven’t had lunch. I’d like to take a five-minute break.”
“Mr. Attorney General, we are almost finished. We are going to be finished in a few minutes. We can certainly take a break but,” Nadler responded before Barr interjected.
“You’re a real class act,” Barr said, laughing at the Democrat chairman. “A real class act.”
But Nadler relented after a moment as ranking member Jim Jordan jumped in.
“He wants a break now, and you just mentioned rudeness, I think we’re seeing it on display,” the Ohio Republican interjected. “Let’s let the attorney general have a break.”
“You want it now? Fine, the committee will stand in recess now,” Nadler responded, banging his gavel to allow the break after all.
“Thank you. Thank you, Mr. Chairman,” Barr said.
The moment marked another heated exchange in the hours-long hearing that was filled with contentious sparring between Democrats bent on attacking Barr. The attorney general continually defended himself and President Trump on issues ranging from the use of federal law enforcement in U.S. cities to deal with protests like that in Portland to how the Justice Department has handled investigations.
Many of the confrontations in questioning came as Barr was grilled over his handling of cases involving former national security adviser Michael Flynn and Trump associate Roger Stone. Nadler even kicked off the day by accusing Barr of allowing federal officers to use “pepper spray and truncheons” against protesters in order to create footage for Trump campaign ads.
“We are, as a nation, witnessing the federal government turn violently on its own people,” the Democrat had said at the opening of the hearing.
“The president wants footage for his campaign ads, and you appear to be serving it up to him as ordered,” he added. “The protesters aren’t mobs, they’re mothers, they’re veterans and mayors.”
“Shame on you Mr. Barr,” he said, not allowing Barr to respond.
Barr later fired back, asking, “Since when is it OK to burn down a federal courthouse?”
Democrats continually interrupted Barr who was voluntarily appearing before the panel and had not been subpoenaed. Hostile questioning, insults and interruptions became the theme for the day for Democrats.
Barr clashed with Rep. Ted Deutch, a Florida Democrat who grilled him on the Roger Stone sentencing but repeatedly did not let him answer questions he fired off in rapid succession. He was talked over and accused of not responding to questions when he was clearly being drowned out by Democrat Rep. Hank Johnson at one point.
Hostile Ga Dem accuses Barr of not wanting to answer questions as he repeatedly interrupts in telling exchange https://t.co/g1KzuhQ6jG
— Conservative News (@BIZPACReview) July 28, 2020
Republicans slammed their Democrat colleagues for the disrespectful way they treated Barr.
“Wow. I’m beginning to believe that you’re the cause of the common cold, and possibly even the COVID-19 because everything’s being thrown at you,” Georgia GOP Rep. Doug Collins told Barr at one point.
Jordan called out the antics by Democrats in an exchange with Nadler during the hearing.
(Source: Fox News)
“For months you have tried to get the Attorney General to come. He’s here. Why don’t you let him speak? Why don’t you let him answer the questions?” he asked. “If you want the Attorney general to come, at least let him answer the questions and the accusations made against him.”
“The gentleman’s rudeness is not recognized,” Nadler declared, gavel in hand.
“Rudeness?” Jordan fired back. “Time after time you refused to let the Attorney General of the United States answer the questions posed to him.”
SEE HIGHLIGHTS OF BILL BARR’S HEARING
- Real news out of Barr hearing concerned Obama admin unmasking probe that fell through the cracks
- Barr laughs. Here’s the finger-waving absurdity that crossed the line for him.
- ‘I’m going to answer the damn question’: Barr outclasses freshman Dem invoking ‘penalty of perjury’
- ‘You’re a real class act’: Barr sums up day in response to Nadler denying him a 5 min break
- AG Barr slays Eric Swalwell and his misguided ‘standards’ in brutal hearing beatdown
- ‘I think I speak English’: AG Barr spars with Florida Dem Ted Deutch over Roger Stone sentence
- Hostile Ga Dem accuses Barr of not wanting to answer questions as he repeatedly interrupts in telling exchange
- AG Barr: Nightly riots cannot be called protests, ‘it is, by any objective measure, an assault’ on US gov
- Jim Jordan forces ‘Mr. Myth’ Nadler to face reality, plays footage of violent riots in stinging opener
- Be careful what you ask for! Bill Barr plans to clobber House Dems; see preview of the hearing
- Benched LeBron ‘LeSnitch’ James posts cryptic tweet, Clay Travis has thoughts - December 2, 2021
- While others panic, Florida reports lowest daily coronavirus cases per capita in nation - November 27, 2021
- Jason Aldean audience breaks into ‘F— Joe Biden’ chant - November 1, 2021