Powered by Topple

Nick Sandmann’s lawyer warns recent tweet from CNN’s Brian Stelter could ‘cost him his job’

Powered by Topple

Get the latest BPR news delivered free to your inbox daily. SIGN UP HERE.


One of the lawyers for Nick Sandmann said Monday that a tweet from CNN host Brian Stelter regarding his network’s financial settlement with the Kentucky youth “may have cost him his job.”

In a Twitter post containing a screenshot of Stelter’s tweet, L. Lin Wood said that it violated a confidentiality agreement regarding the network’s legal settlement with his client.

This retweet by @brianstelter may have cost him his job at @CNN. It is called breach of confidentiality agreement,” Wood wrote.

https://twitter.com/LLinWood/status/1287815888884858882

Stelter retweeted comments by Mark Zaid, who represented whistleblower Alexander Vindman, the retired U.S. Army officer who claimed President Trump made an improper quid pro quo offer to the president of Ukraine last year, which led to his impeachment.

“Those with zero legal experience (as far as I can tell) should not be conjecturing on lawsuits they know nothing about. What kind of journalism is that?” Zaid wrote. “I’ve litigated defamation cases. Sandmann was likely paid nuisance value settlement & nothing more.”

Wood added: “Brian Stelter is a liar. I know how to deal with liars.”

Wood also accused others at the network of making the same mistake, including CNN analyst Asha Rangappa, who surmised that the Kentucky Catholic student was paid “$25K to go away.”

Sandmann and his legal team settled a $275 million lawsuit in January for an undisclosed sum. And last week, he settled a $250 million suit with the Washington Post, also for an undisclosed sum.

In a tweet of his own, Sandmann responded to Wood’s statement while ripping the CNN host of “Reliable Sources.”

“I can’t decide if it’s worse to be Brian Stelter or believe Brian Stelter,” he posted. “He was never in any court hearing or meeting I was. So why does he act like he knows anything?”

On Friday, Sandmann wrote on Twitter that there were more suits in the works.

On 2/19/19, I filed $250M defamation lawsuit against Washington Post. Today, I turned 18 & WaPo settled my lawsuit. Thanks to @ToddMcMurtry & @LLinWood for their advocacy. Thanks to my family & millions of you who have stood your ground by supporting me. I still have more to do,” he noted.

We have settled with WAPO and CNN. The fight isn’t over. 2 down. 6 to go. Don’t hold your breath @jack,” he added, tagging Twitter founder Jack Dorsey.

In January 2019, Sandmann and a group of fellow students from Covington Catholic School in Kentucky had gathered around the steps leading to the Lincoln Memorial to wait for a bus to take them back to their hotel when they were approached by Nathan Phillips, a Native American activist.

Phillips, who was banging on a drum and chanting, walked directly up to Sandmann, who faced him, smiling and wearing an iconic red “Make America Great Again” cap, which signaled support for President Trump.

The incident was portrayed by several media outlets and Leftist talking heads as Sandmann going out of his way to disrespect a Native American. However, subsequent video of the incident that went viral online clearly showed Phillips walking up to Sandmann as he smiled in an attempt to diffuse the situation.

He and his fellow classmates, many of whom were also wearing MAGA hats, were branded as racists and bigots by many media figures and Left-wing pundits online.

“In the coming weeks, we will be carefully reviewing all of the false accusations and threats made against Nick. We fully expect that a multitude of civil lawsuits will be filed and aggressively pursued,” Wood said in a statement at the time.

Jon Dougherty

Comments

Latest Articles