Get the latest BPR news delivered free to your inbox daily. SIGN UP HERE.
The Missouri couple who made headlines for the armed defense of their home from protesters had one of their weapons seized by police.
Mark and Patricia McCloskey were served with a search warrant by St. Louis police officers at their home on Friday and the rifle seen in photos and videos from the confrontation with protesters last month was seized, KSDK-TV of St. Louis reported.
The pistol that was held by Patricia McCloskey during the incident is reportedly in the possession of the couple’s attorney, they told police. The warrant executed Friday was just to search for the guns and there was no immediate indication of any charges pending against either of the McCloskeys, KSDK reported.
The couple spoke with Fox News host Sean Hannity earlier this week, describing the incident in June when so-called peaceful protesters entered the private gated community as they made their way to the home of Mayor Lyda Krewson where they planned to demonstrate.
“[They said] that they were going to kill us,” Patricia McCloskey said on “Hannity” this week. “They were going to come in there. They were going to burn down the house. They were going to be living in our house after I was dead, and they were pointing to different rooms and said, ‘That’s going to be my bedroom and that’s going to be the living room and I’m going to be taking a shower in that room.’”
“People were screaming everything,” Mark McCloskey said.
Protesters were back in the historic neighborhood of the Missouri city last week and the McCloskeys had been alerted they would be coming. However, the couple allegedly received death threats and had no success in getting local law enforcement or city officials to weigh in or provide protection. Fox News host Tucker Carlson called attention to their plight on his show, revealing that an attack on the personal injury lawyers was planned for July 3 and they had been unable to secure any protection or help.
Hundreds of protesters made their way from the public road, Kingshighway, to the gated community where 61-year-old McCloskey and his 63-year-old wife live in that rally organized by the Expect Us group. Carrying signs declaring “Black Lives Matter” and “Defund the Police,” they stopped in front of the couple’s home, where apparently armed security had been hired, and then moved on.
Nightmare continues after BLM crowd returns to McCloskey’s home; couple waits with armed security https://t.co/icCMZZhqry
— Conservative News (@BIZPACReview) July 4, 2020
Attorney Albert Watkins, who was formerly representing the couple, had spoken out in their defense about the June incident.
“My clients didn’t sit on their front stoop with guns. … No firearms were on them at the time that they, were, as property owners standing in front of their home,” Watkins said in a statement at the time. “It was not until they basically were in a position of seeing and observing violence, recklessness, lawbreaking, and knowing that the police were not going to be doing anything.”
Watkins is reportedly no longer representing the McCloskeys, KDSK learned on Friday, and attorney Joel Schwartz has now taken over. Schwartz confirmed that a search warrant was issued at 8 p.m. Friday but would not discuss what was taken from the home. He reportedly indicated that he was not aware of the whereabouts of the handgun seen from the June incident, according to KSDK.
The new attorney told the news outlet that he does not believe any charges are warranted against the McCloskeys. He also indicated that he hopes to meet with the office of St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner next week, but said no appointment has been scheduled yet.