Get the latest BPR news delivered free to your inbox daily. SIGN UP HERE.
Vice President Mike Pence said Saturday that the Trump administration was “not going to tolerate” what it sees as continuing censorship of conservative voices and content from the major social media and tech platforms.
In an interview with Breitbart News, the vice president said that President Donald Trump has “made it very clear” he is committed to ensuring that all voices and viewpoints could be heard and seen on Facebook, Twitter, Google, YouTube, and the other major platforms, especially ahead of the 2020 election.
“Well, the president has made it very clear that we are not going to tolerate censorship on the Internet and social media against conservatives,” he told Breitbart News Saturday on SiriusXM. “We’re just not going to tolerate it.”
Pence made it clear that conservative media and voices were vital in the run-up to the November election because Left-leaning ‘mainstream’ outlets like The New York Times, the Washington Post, and CNN have consistently published false allegations and fake news about the administration — claims that the 2016 Trump campaign ‘colluded’ with Russia to influence the election outcome, for instance.
“The great news is there are…great and consistent voices bringing the facts to the American people,” Pence told Breitbart Radio.
“While many in the mainstream media have been after this president, after this administration, since before our inauguration, it’s been that chorus of voices on the Internet that have brought forth the truth and the facts to the American people,” the vice president continued.
“Whether it be the whole Mueller investigation or the Russia hoax or whether it be the impeachment that was brought forward and rejected by the Senate, it’s been those voices that’s made a difference for America, and we have every confidence going forward that we’re going to make sure the First Amendment rights of people who cherish freedom and cherish what this president has been able to do for this country are preserved, and I have every confidence that with that great army of conservative thinkers on the Internet we’re going to drive toward a great victory come November,” he added.
To that end, The Wall Street Journal reported last week that the Trump administration is considering forming a panel to examine anti-conservative bias exhibited by the tech giants and social media platforms.
In addition, the White House may tap into government agencies including the Federal Elections Commission and the Federal Communications Commission to be a part of the panel or to offer policy recommendations, people familiar with the plan told the paper.
“Left-wing bias in the tech world is a concern that definitely needs to be addressed from our vantage point, and at least exposed [so] that Americans have clear eyes about what we’re dealing with,” a White House official told the WSJ.
The president tweeted earlier this month that “the radical Left” totally controls social media and big tech while hinting of future action.
“The Radical Left is in total command & control of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Google. The Administration is working to remedy this illegal situation. Stay tuned, and send names & events,” he wrote.
About a year ago, the Justice Department announced it was launching an antitrust investigation into Google over allegations that the tech giant was improperly squelching competition, mainly in its advertising sector.
The announcement followed the formation of a task force by the Federal Trade Commission in February 2019 aimed at “monitoring competition in the tech industry,” the agency said.
The FTC shares jurisdiction with the Justice Department regarding antitrust cases.
Last month, reports noted that several state attorneys general were likely joining an expected Justice Department case against Google that could be filed later this year.
CNBC reported earlier this month that virtually all online advertising is controlled by three companies — Amazon, Facebook, and Alphabet, the latter the parent company of Google.
- New ‘Let’s Go Brandon’ store opens in Massachusetts, with LGB swag all the rage for the holidays - December 6, 2021
- Stefanik presses NY Gov. Hochul to tidy up ‘criminal cesspool’ left behind by the Cuomo brothers - December 5, 2021
- One more jab: CDC’s Walenski confirms FDA working to streamline approval for omicron-variant vaccine - December 5, 2021