CNN is just not having a good week, it seems.
While harrumphing over a claim Vice President Mike Pence’s office was not allowing the nation’s top health officials to appear on CNN to discuss the coronavirus outbreak, the network got busted running with a story that the office of the director of national intelligence told them contained “inaccurate information.”
As we told CNN earlier today, this story contains inaccurate information. https://t.co/cFb2q1Cvr4
— Office of the DNI (@ODNIgov) April 9, 2020
As part of an ongoing media campaign to suggest that Trump was slow to respond to the Chinese virus COVID-19, thus costing thousands of American lives, CNN run with a report that said the president was warned “as early as November” about the virus.
The network appears to exist in a bubble all to itself, oblivious to the reality that many Americans see its obsession with trying to destroy Trump and agree with the president that CNN is indeed “fake news.”
Even if they do run with the tagline claiming to be “the most trusted name in news.”
.@CNN is Fake News. They will take a good story and make it as bad as is humanly possible. They are a JOKE!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 4, 2020
After several days of not having the nation’s top health officials appear on CNN and discuss the coronavirus pandemic — Pence’s office is responsible for booking officials on networks during the pandemic — CNN claimed Thursday that Pence was blocking appearances.
Of course, the network had to backtrack somewhat after Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Robert Redfield was booked for CNN’s Thursday night coronavirus town hall.
CNN senior media reporter Oliver Darcy reported that Pence’s office “reversed their position,” after initially saying the move to prevent officials to appear was in response to CNN not airing President Trump’s remarks at the daily press briefings.
Interestingly, Katie Miller, press secretary for the vice president, took to Twitter to suggest otherwise, while reminding “Fake News” CNN of a few facts.
“We’ve had at least 33 bookings on @CNN in the past month, including with health professionals. As usual, CNN is more #FakeNews,” Miller tweeted.
— Katie Miller (@VPPressSec) April 9, 2020
According to Darcy, the decision to not air Trump’s comments was based on the claim that his message is often inaccurate or misleading, and it’s impossible to fact-check the president in real time — the network has been airing remarks from the vice president and experts on the White House coronavirus task force.
Of course, with Trump’s approval ratings at an all-time high, discerning minds know what’s really behind CNN’s decision. The anti-Trump media learned its lesson in the 2016 election from airing many of Trump’s rallies, given him massive earned media, and have largely discontinued the practice.
With a Fox News poll showing the president enjoying the highest approval rating of his time in office, at 49% approval, CNN’s decision to stop airing Trump’s remarks to the American people rings of this same strategy — pandemic or not.
CNN’s story on the early warning was run Thursday after ABC News reported earlier in the week that an intelligence report by the Defense Intelligence Agency’s National Center for Medical Intelligence warned of a possible coronavirus crisis that “could be a cataclysmic event.”
Col. R. Shane Day, Director of the National Center for Medical Intelligence, refuted that report the same day.
Day said in a release: “As a matter of practice the National Center for Medical Intelligence does not comment publicly on specific intelligence matters. However, in the interest of transparency during this current public health crisis, we can confirm that media reporting about the existence/release of a National Center for Medical Intelligence Coronavirus-related product/assessment in November of 2019 is not correct. No such NCMI product exists.”
Pentagon issues rare public rebuke against ABC for claim White House was warned of pandemic in November https://t.co/9F6NZth6Zz
— Conservative News (@BIZPACReview) April 9, 2020
President Trump also responded to pollster Frank Luntz reporting that ABC’s sources “have been debunked,” to call the initial report “FAKE NEWS” and a “HOAX.”
Thank you Frank. It’s ABC Fake News. They knew they were wrong when they went with this Hoax of a story! https://t.co/FHkRaW3BTi
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 10, 2020
So there you have it… nonetheless:
The Pentagon told CNN this was wrong.
National Center for Medical Intelligence told CNN this was wrong.
A DIA official told CNN this was wrong.
Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff John Hyten did same.
The Office of DNI did same.
CNN ran story anyway based on "sources" https://t.co/DrR4jREpbA
— Jeff Carlson (@themarketswork) April 10, 2020
Here’s a quick sampling of other responses to the story from Twitter:
Which CNN story doesn’t?
— Mark Dice (@MarkDice) April 9, 2020
Twitter said it would ban accounts that spread misinformation about coronavirus
— Jack M. Posobiec, IWO (@JackPosobiec) April 9, 2020
It’s @CNN, they don’t care about accuracy, facts or truth. Orange man bad
— Scott Yocum (@YocumScott) April 9, 2020
CNN doesn’t care if it’s accurate or not. The real question is will it make Trump look bad.
— JoeInNoHo (@JoeInNoHo) April 10, 2020
For @CNN, that’s just called “Thursday.”
— A Little to the Right (@little2daright) April 9, 2020
Latest posts by Tom Tillison (see all)
- Fired Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin taken into custody; some say it’s ‘not enough’ - May 29, 2020
- ‘Twitter is full of s**t’: Social media platform’s war with Trump just took a serious turn - May 29, 2020
- Heads explode when Van Jones suggests ‘liberal Hillary supporters’ are the folks black people need to worry about - May 29, 2020