The office for Prince Charles has announced that the heir to the British throne has tested positive for the coronavirus.
The 71-year-old Prince of Wales was tested after he reportedly displayed mild symptoms, although he had been in good health and was working from his home Burnham on the Balmoral Estate in Scotland amid the global pandemic.
(Source: BBC News)
“The Prince of Wales has tested positive for coronavirus. He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual,” a statement from Clarence House read, noting that his 72-year-old wife, Camilla, was also tested for the disease.
“The Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested but does not have the virus,” the statement added. “In accordance with government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland. The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing.”
It was noted that it was “not possible” to determine how the virus was contracted by Charles, who is the eldest child of Queen Elizabeth II and her husband Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.
“It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks,” the official statement said.
The Queen is reportedly in “good health,” and last saw her son, who is first in line to the British throne, on March 12, according to Buckingham Palace. At his age, Charles is considered a higher risk for coronavirus.
According to BBC:
The prince’s last public engagement was on 12 March but has been working from home over the last few days, where he has held a number of private meetings with Highgrove and Duchy of Cornwall individuals, all of whom have been made aware.
A number of household staff at Birkhall – the prince’s residence on the Balmoral estate – are now self-isolating at their own homes.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson only just announced stronger restrictions on Britain this week, banning people from leaving their homes except for a few “very limited” reasons.
More than 8,000 cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in the UK and 422 of those people have died, according to the latest numbers from the Department of Health and Social Care.
Johnson noted that people should only venture out of their homes if vitally necessary for work, to provide medical services, get supplies or for a form of needed exercise.
“That’s all — these are the only reasons you should leave your home. You should not be meeting friends. If your friends ask you to meet, you should say ‘No.’ You should not be meeting family members who do not live in your home,” the prime minister said in a televised statement on Monday.
“If you don’t follow the rules,” he added, “the police will have the power to enforce them.”
Latest posts by Frieda Powers (see all)
- President Trump signs executive order, aims to fight ‘unchecked power’ of social media giants - May 28, 2020
- Kayleigh McEnany delivers Twitter a scathing beatdown, cites long list of hypocrisy and blatant bias - May 28, 2020
- Bystander who outed unmasked MSNBC cameraman tells why hypocritical crew ‘deserved to be called out’ - May 28, 2020