Alleged child molester becomes suspect in assault against 8-yr-old after bail-out from ‘freedom’ charity

Controversial nonprofit group The Bronx Freedom Fund posted the $2000 bail for a man allegedly caught on camera assaulting a three-year-old boy in Queens. That same man was later busted in a similar incident where he allegedly assaulted an eight-year-old girl.

Luis Olivo, 63, was arrested last month for allegedly assaulting a three-year-old boy at a Woodhaven laundromat. The New York Post reports Olivo was sitting in front of the business with a table spread full of candy. Surveillance footage reportedly shows him talking to a three-year-old boy, offering him a balloon and then shoving the boy’s face into his crotch.

(Photo by ANTHONY WALLACE/AFP via Getty Images)

Olivo was released on November 4. The Bronx Freedom Fund is “a nonprofit with a revolving fund to pay bail for people accused of misdemeanors,” according to their website.

“Our goal is to keep people in their communities while they await trial – and to fight for a system that no longer criminalizes poverty,” the company writes.

If Olivo is the sort of “misdemeanor” criminal The Bronx Freedom Fund is looking to help out, then they may want to get their priorities in order.

What makes the act of charity especially egregious is that Olivo was arrested again on Sunday for another act of alleged sexual assault against a child.

An eyewitness told cops Olivo was putting his hand up an eight-year-old girl’s skirt and trying to kiss her at the Unique Shopping Mall in Jamaica, Queens.

Olivo’s record is extensive with an arrested for allegedly assaulting yet another child in 2012. That incident found him charged with first-degree sexual abuse, which he pled down to endangering the welfare of a child.

The Bronx Freedom Project is coming under increasing fire.

“My baby is only three, maybe he’ll forget. But the eight-year-old will always remember what happened to her,” the mother of the boy allegedly assaulted at the laundromat told The Post.

Several police officers also blasted the charity organization in the paper.

“When are groups like the Freedom Fund going to start worrying about the victims?” a Queens detective reportedly said. “Because of their actions, a little girl and her family have been victimized and traumatized unnecessarily.”

“These liberal groups have no idea how traumatic sex crimes are to the victims, especially young children,” an ex-cop added about the matter. “They talk about giving criminals second chances. Well, these two children won’t get a second chance.”

The Post also reports that The Bronx Freedom Fund has a controversial history with bailing out alleged sex criminals.

They paid the bail that freed Randy Santos in August, who allegedly killed four homeless men last month. His August arrest was for groping a 19-year-old.

They also paid bail for Lynneke Burris, a man who would go on to rape a 23-year-old girl only a week after being released.

Comments

Latest Articles