Judge blocks Trump admin healthcare requirement for new immigrants

(Getty file photo)

Thanks to a judge appointed by former President Barack Hussein Obama, the American people are now on the hook for low-income foreigners who enter the country through “chain immigration” or a “diversity visa” and subsequently either sign up for Obamacare subsidies (paid for by taxpayers) or take advantage of the country’s emergency room services (paid for by taxpayers).

U.S. District Judge Michael H. Simon issued an order on Saturday temporarily blocking a new Trump administration health care policy requirement that would have prevented both scenarios from playing out by only granting entry to financially stable immigrants.

“Under the new policy, immigrants entering the country using either [“chain migration” or a “diversity visa“] would need to demonstrate their financial ability to purchase health care before being granted permission to move to the U.S.,” The Wall Street Journal reported.

Introduced last month and originally scheduled to go into effect on Monday, the policy was designed to prevent low-income immigrants from exploiting America’s generous health care programs.

“Low-income immigrants living in the country legally are already barred from using Medicaid during their first five years, but they can receive premium subsidies under the Affordable Care Act if their incomes qualify,” the Journal’s report continued.

Uninsured low-income immigrants are also able to benefit from America’s emergency room services.

When announcing the policy last month, President Donald Trump rightly noted that the current system leads to “overcrowding and delays” and “places a large burden on taxpayers, who reimburse hospitals for a portion of their uncompensated emergency care costs.”

“While our healthcare system grapples with the challenges caused by uncompensated care, the United States Government is making the problem worse by admitting thousands of aliens who have not demonstrated any ability to pay for their healthcare costs,” he said.

He added that while America “has a long history of welcoming immigrants who come lawfully in search of brighter futures,” it’s fundamental that the American people be protected “from the burdens of uncompensated care.”

“Continuing to allow entry into the United States of certain immigrants who lack health insurance or the demonstrated ability to pay for their healthcare would be detrimental to these interests,” he said.

Simon, an Obama judge, disagreed on the basis that the policy would engender “irreparable harm” to would-be immigrants, never mind the irreparable harm the policy’s suspension will cause to the American people.

“Facing a likely risk of being separated from their family members and a delay in obtaining a visa to which family members would otherwise be entitled is irreparable harm,” he wrote in an 18-page order.

Read the full order below:

The far-left groups whose lawsuits led to Saturday’s decision were thrilled.

“We’re feeling very relieved, because the proclamation, had it gone into effect, would have been the shutdown of the family-based immigration system,” Stephen Manning, the executive director of the Innovation Law Lab, said to the Journal.

Fact-check: FALSE.

Would-be immigrants with decent finances would have still been allowed entry.

Carmen Rubio, the executive director of Latino Network, responded via the far-left Justice Action Center by echoing the judge’s concerns about “irreparable” harm.

“Today’s decision highlights the urgency of blocking this health care ban before it causes irreparable damage to our community and those we serve,” she said in a statement. “We know that our fight is far from over, we will be steadfast in our work to ensure that we end family separation, ensure the dignity and rights of our community are respected, and hold this administration accountable to our nation’s constitution.”

Saturday’s ruling comes only weeks after five other courts reportedly blocked another Trump administration policy that would have barred immigrants who collect welfare of one type or another from obtaining a green card.

When the policy was introduced in August, the president argued that it was unfair for the American people to be forced to pay for the lifestyles of immigrants who just literally arrived.

“I don’t think it’s fair to have the American taxpayer — you know, it’s about ‘America First.’ I don’t think it’s fair to have the American taxpayer paying for people to come into the United States,” he said to reporters at the time.

“So what we’ve done is institute what took place many, many years ago — at our founding, virtually. But we are just re-instituting it,” he added. “And I think it’s long overdue. I am tired of seeing our taxpayer paying for people to come into the country and immediately go onto welfare and various other things. So I think we’re doing it right.”

Listen:


(Source: Reuters)

It remains unclear why members of the left, including those in Congress, are so hellbent on forcing Americans to pay for everybody elsebut themselves.

Vivek Saxena

Comments

Latest Articles