It doesn’t take much to get the media in an uproar when it comes to President Donald Trump, but rest assured that a video mashup depicting Trump taking out members of the media will do the trick.
The doctored video is an edited version of the church massacre scene from the 2014 film “Kingsman,” with Trump’s head superimposed on the body of Colin Firth, who starred in the film — the character goes on a rampage in “The Church of Fake News,” killing parishioners who are depicted as media outlets and political opponents.
Described as a “horrifically violent video,” it was played last week at the three-day conference hosted by American Priority at Trump National Doral Miami, the Daily Mail reported.
It’s up for debate whether the video was more gruesome than failed comedian Kathy Griffin holding a bloodied, fake severed head of President Trump.
Caution: Potentially Disturbing Images.
Included among those being shot, stabbed and assaulted in the video is former President Barack Obama and the late Sen. John McCain, the British tabloid noted.
Others politicians depicted in the fake clip include Hillary Clinton, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., and Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah. MSNBC anchor Mika Brzezinski, actor Rosie O’Donnell, comedian Kathy Griffin, and George Soros are also represented.
Organizer Alex Phillips denounced the clip, telling the Times that it had been played as part of a “meme exhibit.”
“Content was submitted by third parties and was not associated with or endorsed by the conference in any official capacity,” Phillips said. “American Priority rejects all political violence and aims to promote a healthy dialogue about the preservation of free speech. This matter is under review.”
The president’s eldest son reportedly attended the event, as did former White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.
“I was there to speak at a prayer breakfast, where I spoke about unity and bringing the country together,” Sanders told the New York Times. “I wasn’t aware of any video, nor do I support violence of any kind against anyone.”
Trump campaign spokesman Tim Murtaugh said he knew nothing about the video.
“That video was not produced by the campaign, and we do not condone violence,” he said.
ABC News chief Washington correspondent Jonathan Karl, president of the White House Correspondents’ Association, not only called on Trump to denounce the video, but blamed it on the president’s rhetoric.
“The WHCA is horrified by a video reportedly shown over the weekend at a political conference organized by the President’s supporters at the Trump National Doral in Miami,” Karl said in a statement. “All Americans should condemn this depiction of violence directed toward journalists and the President’s political opponents.”
“We have previously told the President his rhetoric could incite violence,” the statement continued. “Now we call on him and everybody associated with this conference to denounce this video and affirm that violence has no place in our society.”
— Monica Alba (@albamonica) October 14, 2019
CNN opted to go in a somewhat different direction, attacking Trump supporters while calling on Trump and his family to denounce the video.
“Sadly, this is not the first time that supporters of the president have promoted violence against the media in a video they apparently find entertaining — but it is by far and away the worst. The images depicted are vile and horrific,” their statement read.
“The president and his family, the White House and the Trump campaign need to denounce it immediately in the strongest possible terms,” the response continued. “Anything less equates to a tacit endorsement of violence and should not be tolerated by anyone.”
— CNN Communications (@CNNPR) October 14, 2019
As for possible context, which is not being provided by the pearl-clutching media too preoccupied with outrage, Reason’s CJ Ciaramella tweeted that he was at the event in question.
According to Ciaramella, the video was shown in an a :meme art exhibit:”
“I was there. There was a room at the conference showing videos by that ‘carpe donktum’ guy. A meme art exhibit I guess. It was empty when I went in. I didn’t see that specific video,” he tweeted.
I was there. There was a room at the conference showing videos by that “carpe donktum” guy. A meme art exhibit I guess. It was empty when I went in. I didn’t see that specific video.
— CJ Ciaramella (@cjciaramella) October 14, 2019
In response to a tweet from the N.Y. Time’s Maggie Haberman, who tried to add a racial component to the story, Ciaramella suggested the video was not seen by many.
I guess I missed this video in the “art exhibit” of memes at the pro-Trump conference this weekend. tbf I only stayed in the room a little bit because it was empty and weird. https://t.co/HjSkY2edIO
— CJ Ciaramella (@cjciaramella) October 14, 2019
There’s a big empty room here with TVs and projectors playing videos by that “carpe donktum” guy pic.twitter.com/O87stQDfrc
— CJ Ciaramella (@cjciaramella) October 11, 2019
The video may be ill-advised at a political event, though it’s not like it was a realistic depiction. Videos of this nature are frequently seen on social media and it may be in poor taste, but it’s an accrued taste nonetheless — the intent is humor, ill-placed or not.
Oh, that’s right. Humor has been outlawed in post-Obama America.
As for that “Carpe Donktum” video guy, here’s his offering to all the brouhaha:
IT’S AN INCITEMENT TO VIOLENCE, they cried in unison.
If you are saying that Trump might see the video and then go kill a church full of fake news.
Then sure. Guilty.
— Carpe Donktum? (@CarpeDonktum) October 14, 2019
- Mayor Bowser claims D.C. had ‘one night of rioting’ last summer during Senate hearing - June 23, 2021
- AOC proves she ‘really sucks at math’ when responding to Dems’ failed power grab - June 23, 2021
- Tucker pities Joy Reid’s parents in stinging rebuke of the angry ‘bigot’ she became: ‘This is what you get?’ - June 23, 2021