OPINION: John Hawkins
These days, humorless liberals are famous for screaming some version of, “That’s not funny!” at people, but Dave Chappelle’s new special “Stick & Stones” seems to be bothering them more than normal. Vice wrote a whole piece advising people not to watch it.
Comedy writer Timothy Michael Jennings encouraged people not to watch the special because he thinks Dave Chappelle, who is very much a liberal, is a “bitter, borderline conservative, misogynist.” Paste Magazine complained angrily about “Chappelle’s total lack of empathy and understanding,” which is like carping that a professional cage fighter isn’t gentle and nurturing enough.
Since when does anyone go to comedy shows for “empathy and understanding?”
Buzzfeed complained that Chappelle wasn’t “thoughtful” and that it’s “less cool to say that you’re a Dave Chappelle fan at certain parties in Brooklyn.”
Chappelle’s sin is spending most of his time making fun of the Left’s sacred cows instead of doing the same old, trite, tedious mockery of conservatives that liberals have almost universally adopted as a comedy substitute. Instead of doing original jokes, it’s: “Hey, did you know Donald Trump is an awful, orange, liar? HAHAHAHAHA!” Also, “Conservatives, are they racists or what? HAHAHAHAHA!” Southerners – “Those guys are so backward they have sex with their cousins. HAHAHAHAHA!”
In fact, the approved liberal version of stand-up is closer to a religious ritual than actual comedy at this point. If comedians don’t say the same old things about the same old targets, liberals turn them into targets.
Chappelle, despite being a liberal, was willing to go against the PC culture and make jokes you’re not “allowed” to make any more. It was funny stuff.
7) Black people never feel sorry for the police, but this time, we even felt sorry for the police. Can you imagine if you was a police veteran taking this kid’s police report? “Okay, Mr. Smollett. Please, tell me what happened.” “All right, you… 2:00 a.m. You left the house at 2:00 a.m. It was minus 16 degrees and… – All right. You were walking? You were walking. All right. And… and where were you going? Subway? Sandwiches? That’s when the men approached you? Did you see them? Do you have any – Okay, what did they have on? MAGA hats? MAGA hats on in Chicago? Excuse me, one second, Mr. Smollett. Frank, come here for a second. Find out where Kanye West was last night.” Such a f*cking outrageous story. He said they put a rope around his neck. Has anyone here ever been to Chicago? Yes! All right. All right, so you’ve been there. Now, tell me, how much rope do you remember seeing? Who the f*ck is carrying rope? Like, when did you get mugged, n*gga, in 1850? – Who’s got rope? – Who’s got rope? Man, that sh*t was awful.
6) But, you see, what I didn’t realize at the time and what Kevin had to learn the hard way is we were breaking an unwritten and unspoken rule of show business. And if I say it, you’ll know that I’m telling you the truth. The rule is that no matter what you do in your artistic expression, you are never, ever, allowed to upset… the alphabet people. You know who I mean. Those people that took 20% of the alphabet for themselves. I’d say the letters, but I don’t want to conjure their anger. Ah, it’s too late now. I’m talking about them L’s and them B’s and them G’s and the T’s.
5) And then, I tried to change the subject. “Oh, how is school going, boys?” And my son’s telling me, “Well, we didn’t have school today, technically.” I’m like, “What… What’s going on?” He said, “Well there was, like, a school shooting drill.” I never heard of this. You know what this is? They have drills that they make kids do, uh, where they practice what to do if somebody comes to shoot up their school. I’d never heard of that before. I was like, “What the f*ck?” I had to tell my sons the truth. I didn’t want to tell them this shit. “Son… Son, listen to me. F*ck that drill. If somebody comes to your school and wants to shoot it up, I’m just gonna be honest with you. You probably gonna get shot, n*gga. I’m just being real. You got a famous dad. I talk a lot of sh*t. They gonna be gunning for you, little buddy. Just stay low and run in a zigzag pattern, and don’t try to save anybody, son. Do you understand me?” Why would you have kids rehearse for some sh*t they have no control over? All you’re doing is training these kids to worry. It’s the stupidest drill I’ve ever heard of. And while you’re in there training ’em during these drills, well, aren’t you training the shooter, too? This n*gga’s in here listening and learning like the other kids. Sittin’ in the back… “So, where are we supposed to meet? Okay.”
4) Okay, like, say I’m in bed and I’m sleepin’, and suddenly, my wife wakes me up. “David. David, wake up!” And I’m like, “Uh, oh. Look who’s come around.” And I pull my d*ck over the top of my pajamas. And she says, “No, I hear somethin’.” I go, “Oh, this b*tch.” So I get up out of bed… Uh, grab the gun. I say, “Wait here, baby. I’ll go check it out. Just lock the door behind me.” Oh, my God, she’s right. Right there in the kitchen is a heroin-addicted white and… he’s digging through the change jar by the door. “I work really hard for that change. I gotta do something.” So, first, I rack the shotgun. “Hey, mother*cker!” Click-clack. That’s a test. That click-clack sound will stop a rational human being in their tracks. But, sure enough, this person is not rational. They’re sick on drugs. They’re digging in the change. I gotta act fast. This n*gga’s almost got $1.50. “I warned you.” Birdshot! And there it goes. Hot BB’s will permeate his yellow heroin skin. Remember, I’m not killing him, I’m just “peppering him up nice.” He lets out a heroin scream. No! And that should be the end of it. But… Uh-oh. I miscalculated. While he’s on the ground screaming, I notice that his teeth are horribly miscolored. That’s not heroin at all, is it? That’s crystal meth. He pops right back up, unscathed. Time for the heavy stuff. Clack-clack. Buckshot! And then, if he got a friend with him, I got one more birdshot left. And I repeat the cycle. After that n*gga, it’s slugs for everybody. And I’ll be in a kitchen full of dying heroin addicts, saying stupid heroin last words. “You shot me, bro.” “Oh, it hurts, man. It hurts. Ah.” Their last words are always the dumbest words, like… “Why is your d*ck out?”
3) On network television, they have a department that’s called Standards and Practices. This is the department that tells you what you can and cannot say on television. And if you’re doing your job well, you should never hear from ’em. But if you’re making Chappelle’s Show, you’ll hear from these motherf*ckers all the time.
And remember, this was 15 years ago. I made a mistake. I didn’t even know I’d done anything wrong. I had written a sketch… that had the word… “f*ggot” in it. So I had to go to Standards and Practices. They call me up. I don’t know why they’re calling me, but I like the lady that runs the department. She’s usually really fair and was one of my favorite people I’ve ever worked with. So she sits me down. We have a nice conversation. She tells me, “Oh, the sketches are great.” I go, “Oh, fantastic. Well, then… well, then, why am I here?” She said, “Because, David, there’s no way… that you can ever say the word… “f*ggot” on our network.
I didn’t know I did anything wrong. I didn’t try to defend myself. I said, “All right. F*ck it, I’ll take it out. Have a good afternoon.” And as I was leaving, it occurred to me. “Hey. Hey, Renée, quick question. It’s just a question. Seriously, I wanna know. Like, wh-why is it… why is it that… that I can say the word “n*gger” with impunity… …but I can’t say the word “f*ggot”?” And she said, “Because, David, you are not gay.” I said, “Well, Renée… I’m not a n*gger either.”
2) I’m doing an impression. All right? Let me get into character. You gotta guess who it is, though. Okay, here it goes. Uh, duh. Hey! Durr! If you do anything wrong in your life, duh, and I find out about it, I’m gonna try to take everything away from you, and I don’t care when I find out. Could be today, tomorrow, 15, 20 years from now. If I find out, you’re f*cking-duh-finished.
– Who… Who’s that?
That’s YOU! That’s what the audience sounds like to me. That’s why I don’t be coming out doing comedy all the time, ’cause y’all n*ggas is the worst mother*ckers I’ve ever tried to entertain in my F*CKING life. Ugh. I’m god*mn sick of it. This is the worst time ever to be a celebrity. You’re gonna be finished. Everyone’s doomed.
1) I’m not for abortion. – Oh, shut up, n*gga. I’m not for it, but I’m not against it either. It all depends… on who I get pregnant. I don’t care – I’ll tell you right now. I don’t care what your religious beliefs are or anything. If you have a d*ck, you need to shut the f*ck up on this one. Seriously. This is theirs. The right to choose is their unequivocal right. Not only do I believe they have the right to choose, I believe that they shouldn’t have to consult anybody, – except for a physician… …about how they exercise that right. Gentleman, that is fair. And ladies, to be fair to us, I also believe if you decide to have the baby, a man should not have to pay. That’s fair. If you can kill this mother*cker, I can at least abandon ’em. It’s my money, my choice. And if I’m wrong, then perhaps we’re wrong. So, figure that sh*t out for yourselves. I mean, really, uh, what the f*ck are we doing? I can’t live in this new world you’re proposing.
Op-ed views and opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of BizPac Review.
DONATE TO BIZPAC REVIEW
Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!
- Seven reasons American culture has become toxic - October 13, 2019
- 25 lies liberals will tell you - October 6, 2019
- Why Elizabeth Warren’s wealth tax would be terrible for America - October 5, 2019
PLEASE JOIN OUR NEW COMMENT SYSTEM! We love hearing from our readers and invite you to join us for feedback and great conversation. If you've commented with us before, we'll need you to re-input your email address for this. The public will not see it and we do not share it.