More Castro donors emerge who were accidentally shamed over Trump, signaling an even bigger backfire

(File photo: screenshot)

Democrat Rep. Joaquin Castro is under more criticism as his attempt to shame Texas constituents who donated to President Trump has continued to backfire.

After one of the San Antonio residents who was on Castro’s target list turned out to have donated to his own congressional campaign, it seems the Democrat may have alienated several others as well.

(File photo: screenshot)

At least six of the donors exposed on Castro’s list of shame had actually also financially helped him or his brother Julian Castro, a former Housing and Urban Development secretary, the Washington Examiner reported.

The Texas congressman’s reelection campaign listed a few dozen San Antonio residents who had donated to Trump’s reelection campaign so far this year in a tweet on Monday.

“Sad to see so many San Antonians as 2019 maximum donors to Donald Trump — the owner of ⁦@BillMillerBarBQ⁩, owner of the ⁦@HistoricPearl, realtor Phyllis Browning, etc⁩.” Castro tweeted. “Their contributions are fueling a campaign of hate that labels Hispanic immigrants as ‘invaders.'”

The 44-year-old brothers are vocal Trump critics and joined the liberal circus since this weekend that has repeatedly blamed the president for the shootings in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio, where more than 30 people were killed. But the attempt to single out – by name – any of his constituents who donated to Trump’s campaign ignited a firestorm of criticism against Castro, with one donor revealing that he wasn’t happy about being doxxed by his own congressman, especially after he had donated to his congressional campaign as well.

“I was also on a list of people that gave to Castro and if he dislikes me enough that he wants to put my name out there against Trump, I’m not going to give money to him,” Wayne Harwell told Fox News. “Obviously Castro feels pretty strongly against me.”

And now, according to the Washington Examiner, there are others on the list that Castro’s team published who are not happy about being exposed – considering they donated to him or his brother at one time.

According to the newspaper:

A Washington Examiner review of Federal Elections Committee filings found three individuals on the list who gave $5,600 to Trump, the maximum available by law for the primary and general election, and Joaquin Castro, a congressman from San Antonio who also leads the presidential campaign of his brother, a former San Antonio mayor.

Another three individuals on the list told the Washington Examiner that they supported Julián Castro’s mayoral campaigns. Julián Castro served as San Antonio mayor from 2009 to 2014, before being tapped as HUD secretary for the final two-and-a-half years of President Barack Obama’s administration.

“It is just amazing to me that he would do that,” William Greehey said. The former CEO of Valero Energy gave $5,000 in 2013 to Joaquin Castro’s congressional campaign.

“Then he’s calling me a racist because I’m supporting Trump. I mean, this is just ridiculous.” Greehey added. “There’s a lot of things you don’t like about the president and his tweeting, but here Castro is doing the same thing with his tweeting.”

“He’s probably got 44 people that are going to contribute heavily to whoever might run against him in the primaries,”  Edward Steves, who raised over $300,000 for Julián Castro’s mayoral campaign at a fundraiser he hosted, told the Washington Examiner.

Castro came to his own defense Wednesday on MSNBC, claiming he “didn’t make the graphic” that appeared in the tweet.

But the president of a San Antonio commercial real estate company worried that the reckless tweet aimed at scoring political points could endanger his children and family.

“Were his intentions to incite people to picket Bill Miller’s barbecue or to come to Don Kuyrkendall’s house, you know, assault my wife, make nasty comments?” Donald Kuyrkendall, who once donated to Castro’s mayoral campaign, said.

“Life is short and this kind of silliness is not good for anybody, especially with the climate we have right now with two mass shootings in a weekend,” he added. “There’s just no reason to highlight individuals and their companies as being some kind of, I don’t even know what he thinks we are, bad guys because we support Republicans?”

“I’m just hopeful that none of this gets serious and that my grandchildren and children will be not intimidated by this stuff,” Kuyrkendall said.

Wayne Harwell vowed he would not be donating any more funds to Castro the Democrat.

“I sure will not give to Castro any more,” Harwell, who gave $1,000 Joaquin Castro in 2011, said. “Trump has helped our country have economic prosperity. I support his efforts although I may not support each word, I like the results of his efforts for America.”

Twitter users angry over Castro’s initial tweet exposing the donors weighed in on the irony of the failed name and shame attempt.

Frieda Powers

Senior Staff Writer
[email protected]

Originally from New York, Powers graduated from New York University and eventually made her way to sunny South Florida where she has been writing for the BizPacReview team since 2015.
Frieda Powers

Comments

Latest Articles