Castro accidentally names and shames one of his OWN donors on Trump target list

As a congressman, you have to be pretty tone-deaf to think that publishing the names and employers of those who donate to your political opponent is a good move. You have to be almost malicious to do that in an environment where politically-motivated violence is increasing, and people are even hoping lawmakers they disagree with get “stab[bed] in the heart.”

Unfortunately, that’s exactly what Democratic Rep. Joaquin Castro did on Tuesday night in an attempt to shame people into “thinking twice” about donating to President Donald Trump. He defended himself on Wednesday (after a massive outpouring of anger from Twitter) on MSNBC where all he could muster was the lame defense that he “didn’t make the graphic.”

One man from the list made a shocking admission in an exclusive interview with Fox News following the publication of his name and place of business.

Wayne Harwell and his local real estate development company found themselves on Castro’s list of San Antonians to be named and shamed for their political affiliations. He claims that while he’s “pretty independent,” he also supports President Trump, and had made donations to his first Presidential campaign as well as his 2020 run.

Harwell’s name appeared on a list, along with 43 other prominent donors in San Antonio who have contributed to President Trump. This year, Harwell contributed a total of $5,600 to the Trump Victory committee, and $2,800 to the Trump campaign. Harwell also donated to Trump’s campaign during his first presidential run in 2016.

Harwell also revealed that he had made donations to Joaquin Castro’s congressional campaign, giving him $1,100 in September of 2011. When he found out that his information had been published online by his own congressman, he became rather upset.

“I was also on a list of people that gave to Castro and if he dislikes me enough that he wants to put my name out there against Trump, I’m not going to give money to him,” he said. “Obviously Castro feels pretty strongly against me.”

He then issued a fairly concise message to Castro: “If he wants to play in Washington, he needs to move to Washington. If he wants to play in San Antonio, he needs to at least be sensitive. The rest of the community is sensitive. We’re sensitive to both Republican and Democrat views. A lot of us here in San Antonio are independents.”

Another man who was on the list, Justin Herricks, called the act “ridiculous,” claiming that he’s proud of his political donations. He also rejects the idea that he is a complicit in racism toward Hispanics as a result of his donations.

“As a country, as a whole, we’ve got much bigger issues than trying to fight amongst ourselves,” Herricks told Fox News in a phone interview.

“I feel pretty good about what I’ve done, and who I support,” he said. “Everybody else is pretty open with what they believe in on the other side, so why can’t I? What’s the problem?”

[…]

“Probably a good 50 to 70 percent of my employment is Mexican people,” Herricks said. “You can’t have that argument.”

When made aware of the fact that crazy people exist, and might use the information improperly, Joaquin Castro attempted to deflect by saying that wasn’t what he meant to do when he tweeted the graphic. Safe to say, though, if one of these people comes to harm in the near future, Castro is going to have a lot to answer for.

It’s also entirely unclear how this will reflect on his twin brother Julian Castro’s already-struggling presidential campaign, but it probably won’t be positive.

Comments

Latest Articles