Comedian Roseanne Barr is finally getting specific about who she blames for the fallout over the trumped-up controversy around her tweet characterizing Iranian-born former Obama aide Valerie Jarrett as a cross between the “Planet of the Apes” and the Muslim brotherhood.
And the culprit is from the set of the now-canceled popular reboot of “Roseanne” — co-star Sara Gilbert, who played Roseanne’s daughter, based on an interview with the Washington Post.
On May 29, 27 minutes before ABC announced the show’s cancellation, according to the Post, Gilbert tweeted that Barr’s comment about Jarrett and other controversial remarks were “abhorrent and do not reflect the beliefs of our cast and crew or anyone associated with our show.”
Roseanne’s recent comments about Valerie Jarrett, and so much more, are abhorrent and do not reflect the beliefs of our cast and crew or anyone associated with our show. I am disappointed in her actions to say the least.
— sara gilbert (@THEsaragilbert) May 29, 2018
“She destroyed the show and my life with that tweet,” Barr told the paper. “She will never get enough until she consumes my liver with a fine Chianti.”
At the time, Barr said she was “willing to accept whatever consequences this brings because I know I’ve done wrong.”
She did apologize for the “bad joke,” and said online she didn’t know a light-skinned Jarrett was African-American.
Barr told The Post that Tom Werner, the show’s executive producer and, along with Gilbert, a driving force in reviving “Roseanne,” told her that she would look like a hero if she signed over her rights to allow a spin-off show, “The Conners,” which would save the jobs lost by the cast and crew from the series revival’s cancellation.
Werner was then expected to say Barr was not racist and keep the door open for her to return to the show at some point in the future, according to Barr.
Instead, the new show killed off the Roseanne character with an opioid overdose in the first episode, while Werner remained virtually silent.
Barr returned to her stand-up roots last week in her first live performance since ABC canceled her show, joining comic Andrew Dice Clay on stage at the Laugh Factory in Las Vegas — Clay introduced Barr as “a little special treat for everybody.”
She blasted ABC, which she called a “sh*tty f–king low-rated network,” according to CBS News.
“At the first sign of controversy, you killed me off with a drug overdose,” Barr said. “But you know what? I ain’t dead, b*tches.”
She also joked about feeling suicidal when “Roseanne” was canceled.
“When you get fired, you get real suicidal,” Barr told the audience. “But I’d never kill myself because that would make too many f–king people happy, and I’m not about making people happy.”
Controversial or not, she’s still funny.
But Gilbert may get the last laugh… at least for now, as ABC announced the spin-off, ““The Conners,” is getting picked up for a second season, according to The Hill.
“We are proud to be continuing the story of the iconic Conners family. This team is fearless in their willingness to tackle contemporary issues with humor and heart, and I have no doubt they will continue to outdo themselves,” ABC Entertainment President Karey Burke said in a Friday release.
Latest posts by Tom Tillison (see all)
- Ben Carson’s ‘big, hairy men’ comment outraged HUD staffers; Dems pounce - September 20, 2019
- Cali judge blocks law requiring president’s tax returns to enter 2020 primary - September 20, 2019
- Take it slow, Joe: Biden promises more jobs for women than there are U.S. citizens - September 18, 2019