Native American activist Nathan Phillips will be held to account for the “lies and false accusations” he made about Covington High School student Nick Sandmann, the 16-year-old boy who found himself at the center of major controversy for doing little more than smiling.
That’s according to Lin Wood, an Atlanta-based lawyer representing Sandmann and his parents, who told LifeSiteNews that Phillips “will be sued” for his “well documented” actions against the MAGA hat-wearing high school student and his classmates.
Wood is one of several attorneys representing the family, which is fighting back against their son being smeared nationwide by Democratic politicians and liberal media outlets that presented an inaccurate, if not false, version of events that took place on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial last month in Washington, D.C.
The resulting media frenzy resulted in the students being attacked online, with some going so far as to threaten the young boys lives for allegedly being racists disrespecting an indigenous elder. As details emerged, to include other video, that showed a different take on events, some news outlets began to backtrack and some of those eager to attack offered apologies.
Phillips claimed that Sandmann “blocked my path,” which was not what was seen on video. He also said he was “afraid.”
“I was absolutely afraid,” he said in an interview. “There was a group of over 200 young angry white men who were displaying mob mentality.”
“I was absolutely afraid. There was a group of over 200 young, angry white men who were displaying mob mentality, and they were facing down just four black individuals,” says Nathan Phillips. “A snap of the finger could have caused them kids to descend on those four individuals.” pic.twitter.com/yc8i0SJLPd
— Democracy Now! (@democracynow) January 22, 2019
The native American veteran has repeatedly misrepresented several facts about the incident and has even changed his version in the face of contradictory video.
Wood created a telling video, “Nick Sandmann: The Truth in 15 minutes,” to tell the story of what really happened and how the students were victimized by two groups of activists while waiting for their bus.
Nonetheless, the damage has been done and the Sandmann legal team sent out letters to 54 entities notifying them of a potential lawsuit.
And the list is growing.
Wood told LifeSite the recipients of the notices “continues to grow in number” and the team is “in the process of sending formal written retraction demands in conformity with statutes in states in which litigation may be filed.”
According to the news source, the Diocese of Covington continues to investigate Sandmann and his classmates.
“We have no idea why the investigation by the Diocese has not been concluded but we are confident that any objective review of the evidence will conclude that Nick did nothing wrong,” Wood said, when asked about it.
“Nick remained calm and well-mannered despite being confronted by an activist beating a drum within inches of his face while chanting loudly,” the attorney continued. “Nick did not utter one word except to quietly urge a classmate to refrain from making any comments that might aggravate the situation created by Phillips and the Black Hebrew Israelites.”
Just as troubling, Wood said that school officials were preventing Sandmann from attending class until they intervened and “made clear to the school that we would not tolerate Nick being isolated and singled out based on specious claims.”
“Nick was prohibited by the school from attending classes for 6 school days in the two weeks following the incident,” he told LifeSite.
- Thousands of US green card holders remain in Afghanistan along with American citizens: report - September 24, 2021
- ‘The View’ derails live before Kamala’s big arrival, 2 hosts pulled for Covid despite being vaxxed ‘up the wazoo’ - September 24, 2021
- Graphic letter from Jan. 6 detainee being held in solitary details ‘nightmare’ of his life behind bars - September 24, 2021