Leading a group of illegal immigrants from the Central American caravan who demanded entry into the U.S. is a man suspected of being a terrorist.
One of two groups of approximately 100 migrants which marched on to the U.S. Consulate in Tijuana, Mexico, on Tuesday, was being led by organizer Alfonso Guerrero Ulloa, a man suspected in a 1987 Honduran bomb attack that left six American soldiers wounded, according to The San Diego Union-Tribune.
In a letter delivered to the consulate by Ulloa, the illegal immigrants demanded they be granted entry in the U.S. or else have President Donald Trump arrange for each person to be paid $50,000.
“It may seem like a lot of money to you,” Ulloa told the Union-Tribune. “But it is a small sum compared to everything the United States has stolen from Honduras.”
The letter presented at the consulate claimed the group of migrants were “families, women and children, the majority of which are young men who are fleeing from poverty, insecurity and political repression under the dictatorship of Juan Orlando Hernandez.”
But Ulloa has lived in Mexico since the 1987 bombing in a Chinese restaurant for which he claims he was falsely accused, according to the Union-Tribune. Despite objections by the U.S. government, Mexico granted Ulloa permanent asylum in the country, calling him a “freedom fighter” whose political views put his life at risk in Honduras.
Ulloa reportedly asked the U.S. government to exonerate him in an online petition he wrote, and unloaded about the 1987 bombing in a lengthy tirade on Facebook in June 2017.
A Congressional report that was part of a 2017 appropriations bill found that “the bomb was directed at American soldiers and did in fact wound American soldiers and an American contractor.”
According to the Union-Tribune, the number of migrants from the caravan that arrived n Tijuana last month has been dropping from the more than 6,000 which first arrived. About 2,500 of them have applied for visas in Mexico, some 700 have returned to their own country and another 300 have reportedly been deported.
And 3,500 are now unaccounted for, “presumed to have either crossed illegally into the United States, moved to other Mexican border cities, or simply fallen through the cracks,” the Union-Tribune reported. Meanwhile, Democratic congressional leaders tried to convince President Trump in a fiery meeting on Tuesday that the border wall he is proposing is an ineffective tool to provide security along the U.S.-Mexico border.
Latest posts by Frieda Powers (see all)
- Justice Dept stunner: 200% jump in non-citizen arrests - August 24, 2019
- Charlie Hurt: Trump may swoop voters disgusted by AOC - August 24, 2019
- ‘Heterosexuality just not working,’ NBC News says - August 24, 2019