Mexico’s incoming government denied that it will allow the Central American migrant caravan to remain in Mexico until their asylum claims to the US are processed — contradicting a Washington Post report and President Trump’s tweets suggesting otherwise.
In a backpedaling, face-saving statement to quell mounting anger among Mexicans, incoming Interior Minister Olga Sanchez said: “There is no agreement of any sort between the incoming Mexican government and the U.S. government.”
Just hours earlier, the Washington Post had quoted Sanchez as saying incoming president Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador had agreed to allow the migrants to temporarily stay in Mexico under a plan called “Remain in Mexico.”
Sanchez did not dispute a Washington Post report that directly quoted her as saying: “For now, we have agreed to this policy of Remain in Mexico.”
The White House has been negotiating for months with the Mexican government to stem the hordes of illegal immigrants stampeding toward the US border to demand entry using bogus asylum claims.
Most of the migrants have refused asylum and job offers in Mexico, as BizPac Review reported. Moreover, child smugglers, MS-13 gang members, and potential terrorists have infiltrated the caravans, according to multiple press reports.
The Mexican city of Tijuana — located just south of California — has declared a humanitarian crisis as it struggles to accommodate the 6,000-plus migrants that barraged the city last week. There are as many as 10,000 migrants throughout Mexico, disbursed across various caravans.
Residents of Tijuana are protesting the caravan, saying the illegal immigrants have fueled a crime wave, depleted the city’s resources, and wreaked havoc on all fronts.
Most of the migrants are living in tents inside a sports complex, where the Tijuana government is struggling to feed, house, and provide bathroom facilities for all the migrants.
The line for food just outside the camp confines. Free meals are served at 10am and 5pm. There are 5,150 migrants now at the camp in Tijuana. pic.twitter.com/6BRcbcWRHg
— The Epoch Times (@EpochTimes) November 24, 2018
Tijuana Mayor Juan Manuel Gastelum asked for federal assistance as illness has started to spread through the caravan, the San Diego Tribune reported.
“The Government of Baja, California reported treating 818 respiratory infections and providing 1,286 general medical consultations to members of the migrant caravan.”
Despite the Mexican government’s claims suggesting it will not allow the migrants to remain in Mexico until their asylum claims are processed (which could take years), experts are confident that President Trump will prevail on this point.
Mexico depends heavily on US trade and financial aid to survive, providing the United States with the leverage needed to ensure its cooperation.
“If Mexico thinks they can just let people pass through their country and get access to the United States, they’re going to have a rude awakening,” Congressman Sean Duffy told Fox News (video below).
- DOJ attorney in charge of election-crimes unit quits after AG Barr opens investigation - November 10, 2020
- ‘Whoa, whoa, whoa’: Neil Cavuto slammed after he cuts off Kayleigh McEnany presser - November 10, 2020
- Same media that cheered Stacey Abrams, Al Gore for refusing to concede attack Trump for same move - November 8, 2020