Fox News goes Twitter silent in protest over how it handled Tucker threats, reportedly, waits for apology

Fox News Channel’s 18 million Twitter followers are wondering what happened as the company’s account has been silent for nearly 48 hours.

The Fox News Twitter account has not tweeted since 2:18 pm on November 8 though the network’s Facebook account has remained active.

The last tweet was about a breaking story on a federal appeals court decision to block President Trump’s plans to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

The Weekly Standard’s Bill Kristol offered a snarky suggestion for the silence.

But it seems the reason is a bit personal for Fox News which may be holding a form of silent protest over its own Tucker Carlson in the wake of a violent Antifa group protest outside of his home last week.

The company reportedly made the “conscious decision” to not put out any tweets.

“[This] is a conscious decision in light of what was done to Tucker,” a source at Fox News told Mediaite.

Protesters with the anti-fascist group “Smash Racism DC” staged a violent and raucous demonstration in front of Carlson’s  Washington, D.C. house where his wife was home alone. Police intervened, arriving after one protester allegedly threw himself against the front door,  others spray painted an anarchy symbol on the driveway and vandalized vehicles.

Members of the group posted the Fox News host’s home address – as well as the address of his brother and others – in a video which was then shared on social media.

Tribune Media content manager Scott Gustin reported that Fox News sources revealed the company was “protesting how Twitter handled posts targeting Tucker Carlson.”

Twitter reportedly did not delete tweets containing Carlson’s address whereas Facebook – which Fox News continues to post from –  responded quickly after it was alerted.

The decision not to tweet came from “the highest level” of the company, according to Gustin.

Meanwhile, Fox News will reportedly continue to hold tweeting until Twitter issues an apology.

The move is highly unusual as the Fox News account posts hundreds of tweets a day and has over 400,000 tweets on its page. The Fox Business Twitter page has also been quiet, posting the last tweet on Nov. 9 and retweeting about 24 hours ago.

Fox News’ CEO Suzanne Scott and president Jay Wallace condemned the protests, which Carlson called a “threat,” in a statement on Thursday.

“The incident that took place at Tucker’s home last night was reprehensible,” Scott and Wallace said. “The violent threats and intimidation tactics toward him and his family are completely unacceptable. We as a nation have become far too intolerant of different points of view. Recent events across our country clearly highlight the need for a more civil, respectful, and inclusive national conversation. Those of us in the media and in politics bear a special obligation to all Americans, to find common ground.”

Carlson spoke with Fox News colleague Brian Kilmeade who sat in for him on Friday’s program.

“Why are we describing it as a protest? It a protest in the sense that when the mafia tells a store owner, I’d hate to have this place destroyed, that’s not a protest, it’s a threat,” Carlson said.

We know first-hand that censorship against conservative news is real. Please share stories and encourage your friends to sign up for our daily email blast so they are not getting shut out of seeing conservative news.

Comments

Latest Articles