Venezuelan president blames US for assassination attempt, demands Trump help him

Following an alleged assassination attempt on Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, the proud socialist not only blamed the attack on “far right” radicals in Venezuela and the United States, whom he accused of working with Columbian President Juan Manuel Santos, but then demanded that President Donald Trump assist him in apprehending the suspects.

“They have tried to assassinate me today and everything points to the Venezuelan ultra-right in alliance with the Colombian far right and that the name of Juan Manuel Santos is behind this attack,” he said. “The preliminary investigation indicates that many of those responsible for the attack, the financiers and planners, live in the United States in the state of Florida.”

Considering the socialist’s history of fraud, lies and corruption, there’s no reason to believe that accusation. A senior U.S. State Department official confirmed with CNN that U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo “had heard the reports” and is looking into the allegations nevertheless.

“I hope the Trump administration is willing to fight terrorist groups that commit attacks in peaceful countries in our continent, in this case Venezuela,” Maduro added.

Below is footage from the attack in Caracas, where explosives-rigged drones detonated nearby a military parade that Maduro had been addressing Saturday evening:

Columbia has already responded by reportedly calling the accusation “absurd” and saying it “lacks foundation.”

“It is customary for the Venezuelan leader to permanently blame Colombia for any type of situation. We demand respect for President Juan Manual Santos, for the government and for the Colombian people,” the Columbian Foreign Ministry reportedly said.

Chances are Trump will respond similarly, particularly in light of his disdain for Maduro, whom he has refused to personally speak with until “democracy is restored in that country.”

“Since the start of this Administration, President Trump has asked that Maduro respect Venezuela’s constitution, hold free and fair elections, release political prisoners, cease all human rights violations, and stop oppressing Venezuela’s great people,” the White House said in a statement last year. “The Maduro regime has refused to heed this call, which has been echoed around the region and the world. Instead Maduro has chosen the path of dictatorship.”

“The United States stands with the people of Venezuela in the face of their continued oppression by the Maduro regime. President Trump will gladly speak with the leader of Venezuela as soon as democracy is restored in that country.”

The president doubled down on this sentiment after Maduro won reelection in May in what was clearly a fraudulent election.

“The United States remains committed to the Venezuelan people, who have suffered immensely under the Maduro regime,” Trump said on the same day that he signed an executive order that targeted the socialist regime.

“We call for the Maduro regime to restore democracy, hold free and fair elections, release all political prisoners immediately and unconditionally, and end the repression and economic deprivation of the Venezuelan people.”

As of Sunday morning Trump had not yet responded to Maduro’s remarks. A report by Axios revealed, however, that the assassination attempt on Maduro had damaged him politically and that it’s likely Trump will use this “to exploit divisions through a new round of sanctions.”

Sorry, Maduro, but it doesn’t look like you’ll be received the United States’ help anytime soon.

Good luck next time!

Vivek Saxena

Comments

Latest Articles