A federal judge tossed a lawsuit alleging efforts between the Donald Trump campaign and Roger Stone to conspire with Russia and WikiLeaks to published hacked DNC emails.
Clinton-appointed U.S. District Court Judge Ellen Huvelle said the lawsuit was too weak to support “conspiracies” between the Trump campaign and Stone’s alleged actions during the 2016 election to continue in a D.C. court, Politico reported.
“The Trump Campaign’s efforts to elect President Trump in D.C. are not suit-related contacts for those efforts did not involve acts taken in furtherance of the conspiracies to disseminate emails that harmed plaintiffs,” Huvelle wrote. “Campaign meetings, canvassing voters, and other regular business activities of a political campaign do not constitute activities related to the conspiracies alleged in the complaint.”
The lawsuit was filed by two DNC donors, Roy Cockrum and Eric Schoenberg, and a former DNC staffer Scott Comer last year, according to Politico. The suit alleged their privacy was invaded by the hacking and that the Trump campaign and Stone played a role in the illegal meddling.
While Judge Huvelle tossed the case, she did not say that her decision was final.
“It bears emphasizing that this Court’s ruling is not based on a finding that there was no collusion between defendants and Russia during the 2016 presidential election,” Huvelle wrote. “This is the wrong forum for plaintiffs’ lawsuit. The Court takes no position on the merits of plaintiffs’ claims.”
The DNC was not part of the tossed lawsuit but is in the early stages of another lawsuit in federal court. That case is underway in Manhattan and alleges that the Trump campaign, Trump’s son Donald Jr, and Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, along with other campaign related individuals played a role in the DNC hacking.
Protect Democracy, a resistance group that filed on behalf of the DNC donors and staffer, expressed disappoint that their case was thrown out, but hinted they may refile, Politico reported.
“While we are disappointed in and respectfully disagree with today’s decision from the District Court to dismiss this case on the grounds that it does not belong in Washington, D.C., this case is far from over,” Protect Democracy’s Ian Bassin said in a statement. ” It is clear that the Court recognizes that there is sufficient evidence to suggest a conspiracy between the Trump Campaign and the Kremlin, but believes this case belongs in a different court. What today’s decision indicates is that the merits of this case will proceed somewhere.”
- Tucker defends fmr colleague Megyn Kelly after latest blackface scandal - September 20, 2019
- Dennis Rodman reveals Madonna pregnancy secret, 18-24 month Kim Jong-un prediction - September 20, 2019
- Trump admin’s scathing letter rejecting Newsom’s request for funds: Clean up your act first! - September 20, 2019