Powered by Topple

Celeb chef Mario Batali hit with Bill Cosby-level, ‘rape room’ sexual allegations on ’60 Minutes’

Powered by Topple

World renowned chef Mario Batali has been accused by a number of women of sexual assault and other inappropriate conduct, to include drugging women.

A disturbing account of one woman’s experience was featured Sunday night on “60 Minutes,” with host Anderson Cooper interviewing the alleged victim as she talked about waking up in what some employees called the “rape room” at the Spotted Pig restaurant, in New York City.

The Spotted Pig is owned by Ken Friedman, a friend of Batali’s — ten woman have accused Freidman of sexually inappropriate conduct.

Appearing anonymously, the woman told Cooper that she remembered having wine with Batali and then throwing up, before everything went dark.

“I woke up by myself, on the floor — I don’t know where I am — of an empty room, wooden floor,” she explained. “I see broken bottles. The first thing I think is, ‘I’ve been drugged.’ That was the first thing I thought, is, ‘I’ve been— I’ve been assaulted.’”

She said she didn’t feel like she had been raped, but noticed what she thought was semen on her skirt.

The woman said she confronted Batali the next day, but he didn’t say anything. She went to the police, who took her to the hospital where a rape kit was taken — in the end, she declined to file a police report.

Batali, who’s under investigation by the New York Police Department, according to 60 Minutes, “vehemently” denied that he had assaulted the woman in a statement.

Jamie Seet was a manager at the Spotted Pig and she told Cooper of another incident three years later.

“We were in the third floor of the restaurant, and there are cameras,” explained Seet, who was in an office counting the evening’s receipts.

She said there had been a party, but the crowd dwindled to just Batali and a woman, who didn’t appear to be conscience. Seet then saw Batali begin to reach his hand up between the legs of the woman.

Her account was confirmed by four others who were also there.

Seet said she knew the celebrity chef “crossed a line. A huge, a huge line,” and with the help of others, they intervened.

“So we all went out there, and we— we stopped what was going on. ‘Hey, Mario, how are you doing? Let’s get you a cab.’ Just — you know, we were saying something just to snap him out of this,” she explained.

Batali owns 26 restaurants and walked away from the businesses in December when nine women came forward to complain about his behavior. He did not try to deny the allegations.

“I apologize to the people I have mistreated and hurt,” the chef said in a statement at the time. “Although the identities of most of the individuals mentioned in these stories have not been revealed to me, much of the behavior described does, in fact, match up with ways I have acted. That behavior was wrong and there are no excuses.”

And while Batali’s alleged behavior is reprehensible, not to mention criminal, Cooper went on to smear millions of committed, hard working people, going to great lengths to indict the entire restaurant industry for the actions of a select few.

The liberal journalist suggested there is a culture of sexual harassment and assault in the industry, featuring one former waitress who went so far as to say restaurants are “lawless.”

Tom Tillison

Comments

Latest Articles