Waffle house hero James Shaw Jr. refused to take the bait when CNN’s Van Jones tried to get him to slam President Trump.
The 29-year-old who took down the shooter who opened fire and killed four people at a Waffle House in Nashville, Tennessee last month, remained humble and classy despite the attempt by Jones.
Asked if he had heard from the president since the shooting, which left Shaw with minor injuries as he wrestled the gun away from alleged shooter, Travis Reinking, the hero said not yet.
“I haven’t heard anything, but that’s not to say he didn’t try to contact me, or not,” Shaw said.
“But he gave a shout out to Kanye today, no shout out to you,” Jones followed up. “How do you feel when the President of the United States missed an opportunity to hold up somebody who’s trying to do good stuff like you?”
“I know he has a busy agenda, a busy schedule,” Shaw replied, rising above the provocation.
“Maybe he just hasn’t got around to me. Maybe my time is coming,” he added, clearly not looking at the situation with the same eyes as those like Jones. “It’s not for me to judge what he does. I did what I did and I didn’t really do it for recognition, just to save my life honestly.”
This is the Waffle House hero, James Shaw Jr. He tackled the shooter and saved so many lives in the process. Thank you James. And thank you TriStar Southern Hills Medical Center for your wonderful doctors and nurses who quickly took care of his injuries. pic.twitter.com/kKORfI24G1
— Eugene Gu, MD (@eugenegu) April 22, 2018
Vice President Pence tweeted a message of thanks four days after the shooting, hailing Shaw as an “american Hero.”
Tragic shooting in Tennessee earlier this week. Thanks James Shaw Jr. for your courageous actions to save lives and your continued efforts to help others. You’re an American HERO! https://t.co/vyA6B3N1eu
— Vice President Mike Pence (@VP) April 26, 2018
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders did note that there is a potential meeting in the works between the president and Shaw though no details have yet been determined.
“My understanding is that there has been an outreach effort to bring him here to the White House, and I’ll keep you updated on that as I have more information,” Sanders told reporters during a White House press briefing.
We know first-hand that censorship against conservative news is real. Please share stories and encourage your friends to sign up for our daily email blast so they are not getting shut out of seeing conservative news.
Latest posts by Frieda Powers (see all)
- NJ school backs out of American Legion coloring contest because of ‘inappropriate’ guns in photo - February 16, 2019
- ‘Rep. Ilhan Omar is proving to be an enormous liability to America’s Muslims,’ says Council on Foreign Relations member - February 16, 2019
- Maxine Waters wants Americans to protest against Trump’s ‘fake emergency powers’ - February 16, 2019