The Charlie Rose sexual harassment scandal just got a lot worse for CBS.
The network fired Rose in November after multiple women accused him of sexual misconduct, but the Washington Post is reporting the number of incidents “were far more numerous than previously known.”
The earlier claims were from when Rose was at PBS — eight women accused him of “making lewd phone calls, walking around naked in their presence, or groping their breasts, buttocks or genital areas.”
The Post’s investigation found that Rose’s sexual misconduct was widespread at CBS and that three managers were warned. The paper spoke with 107 current and former CBS News employees over a five-month period — an additional two dozen interviews were held with people who worked with Rose on other television programs.
“On three occasions over a period of 30 years, CBS managers were warned of Rose’s conduct toward women, The Post found,” read a tweet from the newspaper’s Twitter account. “An additional 27 women — 14 CBS employees and 13 who worked with him elsewhere — have said that he sexually harassed them.
On three occasions over a period of 30 years, CBS managers were warned of Rose’s conduct toward women, The Post found. An additional 27 women — 14 CBS employees and 13 who worked with him elsewhere — have said that he sexually harassed them. https://t.co/ZBONPCgqAy
— Washington Post (@washingtonpost) May 3, 2018
The article included this damning accusation against Rose:
The new allegations against Rose date to 1976, when, according to a former research assistant, he exposed his penis and touched her breasts in the NBC News Washington bureau where they worked.
The newspaper reported on a span of 30 years where the network was made aware of concerns about Rose’s behavior.
Managers at CBS were “flagged” as early as 1986, with the most recent incident being in April 2017, when Rose was co-anchor of “CBS This Morning,” The Post noted, citing “people with firsthand knowledge of the conversations.”
The incident last year involved a 24-year-old CBS staffer named Brooks Harris.
CBS News was mum on the claims in the article in a statement to The Post.
“Since we terminated Charlie Rose, we’ve worked to strengthen existing systems to ensure a safe environment where everyone can do their best work,” the statement said. “Some of the actions we have taken have been reported publicly, some have not. We offer employees discretion and fairness, and we take swift action when we learn of unacceptable behavior. That said, we cannot corroborate or confirm many of the situations described. We continue to look for ways to improve our workplace and this period of reflection and action has been important to all of us. We are not done with this process.”
Variety reported that “a number of prominent CBS executives said they were either unaware of Rose’s behavior or believed they acted within guidelines.”
CBS News President David Rhodes was cited as saying that he was not aware of any harassment by Rose at the network.
As for Rose, he responded to the new allegations with a one-sentence email: “Your story is unfair and inaccurate.”
- Restaurant’s entire staff quits en masse, leaves note on door; management disputes claims - September 17, 2021
- Three Texas tourists arrested for allegedly attacking NYC hostess who asked for vaccine ID - September 17, 2021
- 80’s bombshell Heather Locklear to make TV comeback with new look - September 17, 2021