Powered by Topple

Trump calls lawsuit by ‘obstructionist’ Dems ‘good news’ … they don’t even realize what they just did

Powered by Topple

President Donald Trump fired back at “Obstructionist Democrats” over their alleged conspiracy lawsuit declaring it could actually be “good news” for the GOP.

“Just heard the Campaign was sued by the Obstructionist Democrats,” the president tweeted Friday. “This can be good news in that we will now counter for the DNC Server that they refused to give to the FBI, the Debbie Wasserman Schultz Servers and Documents held by the Pakistani mystery man and Clinton Emails.”

A multimillion-dollar federal lawsuit was filed Friday by the Democratic Party against the Russian government, WikiLeaks and several Trump campaign officials alleging a widespread conspiracy in the 2016 election campaign and calling it an “all-out assault on our democracy.”

“The conspiracy constituted an act of previously unimaginable treachery: the campaign of the presidential nominee of a major party in league with a hostile foreign power to bolster its own chance to win the Presidency,” DNC Chairman Tom Perez said in a statement.

The lawsuit alleged that hacked DNC emails which WikiLeaks published during the campaign were part of a broader conspiracy to disrupt the 2016 campaign, damage Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton’s campaign and secure the election for Trump.

Seeking millions of dollars in damages, the suit names Trump campaign aides such as the president’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, campaign chair Paul Manafort and campaign deputy Rick Gates. Manafort and Gates have been charged with money-laundering, fraud and tax evasion in special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation.

While the president saw the move by Democrats as working to his advantage by forcing a counter suit, many others speculated that the timing of the lawsuit pointed to a desperation by the DNC to distract from the fallout of the release of former FBI chief James Comey’s memos.

Some  within the Democrats’ own ranks disagreed with the lawsuit.

Rep. Jackie Speier slammed the suit as an “ill-conceived” idea that’s “not in the interest of the American people.”

“I actually think this lawsuit is ill-conceived, and I’m not very supportive of it,” Speier told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Friday.

“I think we have a very serious criminal activity underway in this country by the Russians and possibly by those within the Trump campaign and to make this political is actually the wrong thing to be doing,” the California Democrat said.

Image: screengrab

“I’m not interested in a political tit-for-tat — I’m interested in getting to the truth, and if there is criminal conduct, holding people accountable,” Speier said, adding that the “sidebar lawsuit” was unnecessary.

“I think the interest in coordinating a conspiracy is something that we have been delving into, we are continuing to delve into it,” she continued. “I certainly think that Bob Mueller and the special counsel office has much more information than we have. And we will know soon enough. But I think this sidebar lawsuit is not in the interest of the American people.”

Frieda Powers

Comments

Latest Articles