Julian Assange won’t be seeing the outside world anytime soon.
The Wikileaks Founder on Tuesday lost a bid to overturn the British arrest warrant for which he remains in refuge within London’s Ecuadorian Embassy, NBC News reports.
A judge ruled the 2012 warrant must stand, meaning Assange is still subject to arrest outside the walls of the embassy.
The 46-year-old Australian, who gained prominence during the 2016 US presidential election after Wikileaks published thousands of emails belonging to Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta, faced sexual assault allegations from two women in Sweden, which he has denied.
The investigation and charges in Sweden were dropped last year, but Assange’s British arrest warrant remains outstanding.
Assange and his lawyers say they fear an arrest could ultimately lead to deportation to the US, where he may face a sentence as severe as the death penalty for his activities related to Wikileaks.
“This case is and always has been about the risk of extradition to the United States, and that risk remains real,” said Jennifer Robinson, a member of Assange’s legal team.
For the time being, Assange is free from arrest so long as he stays inside the embassy of Ecuador, which has granted him political asylum.
Despite arguments from Assange’s lawyers that the dropped charges in Sweden make the British arrest warrant unnecessary, senior district judge Arbuthnot stated, “Having considered the arguments … I am not persuaded that the warrant should be withdrawn.”
Arbuthnot said that on Feb. 13 she will rule on a request to have the entire UK case against Assange dropped.
Attorney General Jeff Sessions previously said arresting Assange is “a priority.”
British police no longer keep a constant presence outside the embassy. Assange’s lawyers claim he now suffers physical and mental issues due to his confinement.