Chef Batali now gets to “chew” on unemployment after fired from daytime NBC cooking show

ABC has officially parted ways with Mario Batali who has been fired from “The Chew.”

Batali was let go from the daytime cooking show after being asked to step away earlier this week while ABC investigated sexual misconduct allegations against him, NBC News reported.

(Photo by Andy Kropa/Invision/AP)

An exposé by food website, Eater, early this week revealed four women’s sexual accusations against the chef and restaurateur who is well known for his roles on Food Network’s “Molto Mario” and ABC’s “The Chew.” The allegations spanned over two decades and Batali was forced to undergo training recently as his own company reprimanded him for misconduct in October 2017.

“Upon completing its review into the allegations made against Mario Batali, ABC has terminated its relationship with him and he will no longer appear on ‘The Chew,'” an ABC spokesperson said in a statement Friday. “While we remain unaware of any type of inappropriate behavior involving him and anyone affiliated with our show, ABC takes matters like this very seriously as we are committed to a safe work environment and his past behavior violates our standards of conduct.”

(AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)

Carla Hall, Cinton Kelly and Michael Symon have co-hosted the show with Batali since it launched in 2011. No word yet has been given on whether Batali will be replaced by another chef, NBC News reported.

According to NBC News:

Since the allegations surfaced, ABC has taken swift action to rid of Batali’s presence from the network with photos of chef already removed from “The Chew’s” social media pages and ABC’s press site.

Batali, one of the most prominent celebrity chefs of all time, has also been forced to step down from his restaurant management company, Batali and Bastianich Hospitality Group, which he ran with fellow TV chef, Joe Bastianich. Food Network has also put on hold plans to relaunch the cooking show that made Batali a star, “Molto Mario,” after just inking a deal last month to revive the series.

Batali had not denied the claims, instead releasing a statement apologizing for the allegations which he said “match-up” with his behavior.

“That behavior was wrong and there are no excuses,” he said. “I take full responsibility and am deeply sorry for any pain, humiliation or discomfort I have caused to my peers, employees, customers, friends and family.”

Wake up right! Receive our free morning news blast HERE

Powered by Topple

Frieda Powers

Comments

Latest Articles