He had been deported to Mexico 20 times before his heinous attacks on two women.
A Mexican man who had been freed from a Portland jail despite a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement request to hold him until they could take him into custody was sentenced on Friday to 35 years in prison for kidnapping, sex abuse, sodomy, and other charges related to attacks on two women.
Sergio Jose Martinez had also been deported from the U.S. 20 times for being in the country illegally, and held prior convictions for providing a false birth date and interfering with police should have resulted in the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office turning him over to immigration authorities, if only Oregon weren’t a sanctuary state.
Instead, Martinez was freed to go on an even more serious criminal rampage on July 24 which included two separate attacks on two women, one in a parking garage and one in her home.
“Unfortunately, after Zarate got acquitted, Martinez is now the boogeyman of the face of immigration,” Jonathan Sarre, Martinez’s lawyer, said of his client in a phone interview.
If so, a more appropriate “boogeyman” would be hard to find, especially after Martinez grinned often during what Deputy District Attorney Amity Girt called “some very powerful victim impact statements,” then told victims’ relatives that he would see them in hell.
“See all you guys in hell,” Martinez said as he left the courtroom, according to KOIN.
To explain away his comments, Sarre said his 31-year-old client “suffers from some mental illnesses; often such people may do inappropriate things in these situations.”
Oregon, which became the country’s first ‘sanctuary state’ in 1987, made it essentially impossible for Sherriff Michael Reese to hold Martinez on the ICE “immigration detainer” request.
“He was released consistent with the orders of the court. No federal or state criminal warrants were present at the time he left our custody,” Reese said, adding “and has returned to commit additional crimes.”
“It would help our community to understand how he was held accountable by federal authorities for multiple, illegal re-entries,” said the Sheriff at the time.
Martinez pleaded guilty to 10 counts which included sex abuse, sodomy, first-degree burglary, kidnapping, second-degree assault, and robbery. Thanks to a 1994 Oregon ballot initiative that established mandatory minimum sentences, Martinez will not be eligible for early release.
Although ICE will be able to legally take him into custody after he serves his 35-year sentence, it’s sadly too late for his two female victims.
Wake up right! Receive our free morning news blast HERE
Op-ed views and opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of BizPac Review.
- West Point accepts Parkland student’s application to military academy after his tragic death - February 21, 2018
- Nancy Pelosi is in middle of grandstanding at Arizona townhall when question yelled from audience grinds it to a halt - February 21, 2018
- Columbine survivor blows media’s plan to exploit naive students – here’s what happens when they grow up - February 20, 2018