Adding to the list of things to keep Democrats lying awake at night, President Donald Trump has updated his list of possible Supreme Court nominees.
Following the success of Justice Neil Gorsuch, who shares the late Justice Antonin Scalia’s jurisprudential philosophies of originalism and textualism, a short list of 25 names has been amended with five new candidates, The Hill reported.
The newly added names are:
- Judge Amy Coney Barrett of the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Oklahoma State Supreme Court Justice Patrick Wyrick
- Georgia State Supreme Court Justice Britt Grant
- Judge Kevin Newsom of the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Judge Brett Kavanaugh of the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
The additions have earned the praise of the Judicial Crisis Network, which spent $10 million on an advertising campaign to get Gorsuch confirmed to the bench.
Carrie Severino, chief counsel and policy director for the conservative organization, described the choices as the “best and brightest judges in the nation,” according to The Hill.
“These men and women have spent years in the trenches of state and federal government fighting for the Constitution and the rule of law,” Severino said. “They represent a diverse range of backgrounds, including both state and federal judges, three who were former state solicitors general with first-hand experience protecting our constitutional balance of powers.”
Of the additions, Barrett can expect the fiercest resistance from Democrats, should she be nominated.
Barrett, who clerked for Scalia, is a vocal opponent of Roe v. Wade — she called the ruling an “erroneous decision,” according to The Hill.
There are two octogenarians on the bench — Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, 84, and Justice Anthony Kennedy, 81 — and the ranks will soon swell to three, with Justice Stephen Breyer joining them in 2018.
All of which ensures that Trump may have the need to pull from his running list of potential nominees sooner, rather than later… as every Democrat in the nation says nightly prayers for Ginsburg’s health.
- Kamala on Supreme Court? Who saw this coming? Buzz about ‘nuclear option’ to get rid of Harris - November 29, 2021
- Doctor who discovered Omicron variant says symptoms are super ‘mild’: ‘No reason for panicking’ - November 29, 2021
- Matthew McConaughey announces ‘humbling’ decision on running for governor of Texas - November 29, 2021