Could a 30-year-old unpaid campaign volunteer bring down President Donald Trump? If your name is George Papadopoulos, probably not.
But that didn’t stop the endless media crowing about Papadopoulos, who may have worn a wire to help Special Counsel Robert Mueller‘s investigation.
Papadopoulos, who pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about his past contacts with Russia, may have been secretly working for Mueller as part of a plea agreement for leniency since being arrested in July, the Daily Caller reported.
At a plea hearing on October 5, an attorney on Mueller’s team said prosecutors will keep in mind Papadopoulos’ “efforts to cooperate with the Government,” and described him as a “proactive cooperator.”
Legal experts say that’s code word for an informant who wears a wire to ensnare other guilty parties.
Papadopoulos is described as "proactive cooperator." Former prosecutor tells me that sometimes means "wore a wire." https://t.co/nQyVCbXy6x
— Daniel Dale (@ddale8) October 30, 2017
from a 2001 district court case:https://t.co/wXke91EdLJ pic.twitter.com/R78fcLERY8
— Jeryl Bier (@JerylBier) October 30, 2017
“I think it’s a fair assessment that it means Mueller and Co. might have been working with [Papadopoulos] to engage other subjects in conversation,” Ron Hosko, a former assistant director of the FBI’s criminal division, told the Daily Caller.
Hypocrite Hillary downplays her Russia collusion but plays up phony Trump dossier
The anti-Trump media have been breathlessly bleating about George Papadopoulos’s guilty plea, hoping they can wish their “Trump collusion” narrative into reality. Meanwhile, here are some inconvenient facts for Trump haters:
- Few people had ever heard of Papadopoulos until yesterday, when Mueller’s team indicted former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort (and Manafort’s former business partner Rick Gates) for tax evasion and money-laundering from 2006 to 2014.
- According to the Washington Post, Papadopoulos tried to set up meetings between the Trump campaign and Russia, but was rebuffed by Manafort.
- Manafort joined the Trump campaign in April 2016 and was ousted five months later, in August 2016.
- Manafort’s alleged tax evasion and money-laundering timelines do not overlap with his five-month tenure with the Trump campaign.
- Donald Trump’s name is not mentioned once in Mueller’s 12-count indictment against Manafort.
- Manafort’s indictments have nothing to do with alleged Russian collusion by the Trump campaign. So where’s the beef?
Liberal pundits are apparently hoping that George Papadopoulos wore a wire and entrapped some Trump campaign staffers into admitting they had colluded with Russia.
There’s just one problem with this theory: If the feds had a Trump campaign staffer admitting to Papadopous that they had colluded with Russia, that person would have been indicted already.
Sarah Sanders shuts down race-baiting reporters who implied Gen. John Kelly supports slavery
So what does this mean for Americans, whose hard-earned tax dollars are bankrolling Robert Mueller’s federal investigation?
That after a year of around-the-clock federal and media probes, all Mueller’s team has are old tax-evasion and money-laundering charges against Manafort.
Mueller, who was FBI Director under former presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama, has stacked his legal team with Democratic donors and former Obama lawyers. FEC reports show several prosecutors on Mueller’s team donated to Hillary Clinton’s campaign.
Fox News host Sean Hannity expressed disbelief over the Mueller media circus. “Is this all Mueller has? Because if it is, it’s pathetic!” Hannity said. “Another day, another example that after a year of speculation, no evidence of any collusion between President Trump and Russia.”
Op-ed views and opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of BizPac Review.
DONATE TO BIZPAC REVIEW
Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!
- DOJ attorney in charge of election-crimes unit quits after AG Barr opens investigation - November 10, 2020
- ‘Whoa, whoa, whoa’: Neil Cavuto slammed after he cuts off Kayleigh McEnany presser - November 10, 2020
- Same media that cheered Stacey Abrams, Al Gore for refusing to concede attack Trump for same move - November 8, 2020
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.