Just call him Senator “American Badass.”
Musician Kid Rock confirmed on Twitter that he plans to run for a U.S. Senate seat from Michigan in 2018.
Rock, whose real name is Robert James Ritchie, dropped the bombshell Wednesday afternoon when he announced: “I have had a ton of emails and texts asking me if this website is real … The answer is an absolute YES.”
Rock linked to the website “KidRockForSenate.com” and told fans to stay tuned for “a major announcement in the near future.”
— Kid Rock (@KidRock) July 12, 2017
— Kid Rock (@KidRock) July 17, 2017
Kid Rock — an outspoken conservative and supporter of President Donald Trump — visited the White House in April 2017 with his pals Ted Nugent and former Alaska governor Sarah Palin.
In 2012, Rock stumped for Mitt Romney for president (we’ll forgive him for that). In 2015, the “American Badass” rocker revealed he’s a fiscal Republican, but a social libertarian.
“I am definitely a Republican on fiscal issues and the military, but I lean to the middle on social issues,” he told the Guardian. “I am no fan of abortion, but it’s not up to a man to tell a woman what to do. As an ordained minister, I don’t look forward to marrying gay people, but I’m not opposed to it.”
There have been rumors for months that Republicans in Michigan had been courting Kid Rock to run against Democratic incumbent Debbie Stabenow. Rock’s Twitter announcement set off a flurry of skepticism among liberals, who said all this is a PR stunt.
Some noted that Rock has not filed any paperwork with the Federal Election Commission, so technically, none of this is official yet. But given Kid Rock’s longtime interest in politics, a senate run would not be completely surprising.
Time will tell whether the news is real, but many Kid Rock supporters loved the idea:
We need people who aren’t career politicians. Obvious how unable they are to do anything And ones who won’t become one of them like Franken
— Peggy (@mypuppy11) July 12, 2017
— Eisenwulf (@_TheIronWolf) July 13, 2017
Kid Rock…nuff said. pic.twitter.com/bw4DR7tl3W
— Nick Short 🇺🇸 (@PoliticalShort) July 12, 2017
- DOJ attorney in charge of election-crimes unit quits after AG Barr opens investigation - November 10, 2020
- ‘Whoa, whoa, whoa’: Neil Cavuto slammed after he cuts off Kayleigh McEnany presser - November 10, 2020
- Same media that cheered Stacey Abrams, Al Gore for refusing to concede attack Trump for same move - November 8, 2020