Could this week get any worse for Megyn Kelly?
The former Fox News host has taken a beating since she began her new career at NBC. First, she came under heavy criticism for a highly anticipated interview with Vladimir Putin. Then, Kelly managed to enrage both the political left and right with an upcoming interview featuring controversial conspiracy theorist, Alex Jones.
A major advertiser pulled its ads from the show and NBC as a whole until after the interview airs. J.P. Morgan’s chief marketing executive called the decision to interview Jones “repulsive” in a public scolding upon pulling the ads.
But, Kelly’s been handed another major blow.
A charity event held in honor of the Sandy Hook massacre victims and their families has essentially fired Kelly from hosting the gala.
Kelly was set to take the stage at the Sandy Hook Promise gala in D.C. on Wednesday. Since news of the Jones interview spread, event organizers informed the NBC host her services will no longer be needed.
“Sandy Hook Promise cannot support the decision by Megyn or NBC to give any form of voice or platform to Alex Jones and have asked Megyn Kelly to step down as our Promise Champion Gala host,” Nicole Hockley, co-Founder and Managing Director of Sandy Hook Promise said.
Jones has come under fire for declaring the Sandy Hook massacre a “hoax.” His response to the horrific attack sparked outrage from across the political spectrum, but none as fierce as from the parents of the young victims, which have panned Kelly for the interview:
— Nelba Márquez-Greene, 🇵🇷🇨🇦 (@Nelba_MG) June 12, 2017
Kelly said she was “disappointed” in the even organizers decision to fire her from the event.
“I understand and respect the decision of the event organizers but I’m of course disappointed that I won’t be there to support them on Wednesday night,” began Kelly in a statement. “Our goal in sitting down with him was to shine a light – as journalists are supposed to do – on this influential figure, and yes – to discuss the considerable falsehoods he has promoted with near impunity.”
Kelly said she found Jones’ accusation about Sandy Hook “personally revolting,” but has defended her decision to feature him in the interview set to air on Sunday.
Adding insult to injury, Jones has asked Kelly to pull the interview claiming he had been treated unfairly, and Kelly was planning to use clips of the Gala event to run alongside the interview, according to the Daily Mail.
Meanwhile, a preview of the controversial interview can be watched below:
— Megyn Kelly (@megynkelly) June 11, 2017
Latest posts by Nicole Haas (see all)
- Rep Steve King releases scathing rebuttal and warning on Trump’s deal with Dems: ‘The base WILL leave him’ - September 14, 2017
- Beefcake cop photos unexpectedly go viral, bring relief to hurricane victims in more ways than one - September 14, 2017
- Eight of Florida’s elderly die in sweltering hot conditions at rehab center - September 14, 2017