One day after Jill Stein filed for a recount in Michigan, Donald Trump is fighting back.
In a legal objection filed Thursday, Trump’s attorneys note the following major filing issues, according to Weaselzippers:
1. As the fourth-place finisher, Dr. Jill Stein is not “aggrieved” by any alleged fraud or mistake, and is therefore not entitled to a recount.
2. A recount cannot be completed in time for Michigan to have its Electoral College votes counted.
3. The petition must also be rejected because it is not properly signed and sworn to by the candidate.
Trump’s lawyers point out the very salient fact that, since it is unlikely the recount could be completed by the December 13th deadline, “its voters should not risk having the Electoral College door knocked off its hinges, all because a 1-percent candidate is dissatisfied with the election’s outcome.”
In order to get the count done, the state would need to spend millions more than the million dollar fee Stein has already paid, all for a “pointless” exercise based on no evidence whatsoever of election tampering.
The 36-page filing explains the Trump campaign’s rationale and includes the following statement, according to The Hill:
“Green Party presidential candidate Dr. Jill Stein received barely 1 percent of the vote in the 2016 Michigan presidential election, finishing over 2.2 million votes behind the winner,” they wrote.
“Stein, in fact, finished no higher than fourth in any state where she appeared on the ballot,” they added. “Yet despite being just a blip on the electoral radar, Stein has now commandeered Michigan’s electoral process.
“Simply put, Michigan should not grant this lawless, insulting request, and its voters should not risk having the Electoral College door knocked off its hinges, all because a 1-percent candidate is dissatisfied with the election’s outcome.”
Wake up right! Receive our free morning news blast HERE
- West Point accepts Parkland student’s application to military academy after his tragic death - February 21, 2018
- Nancy Pelosi is in middle of grandstanding at Arizona townhall when question yelled from audience grinds it to a halt - February 21, 2018
- Columbine survivor blows media’s plan to exploit naive students – here’s what happens when they grow up - February 20, 2018