Marco Rubio shows ‘payback’ isn’t beneath him–BURNS Trump ahead of GOP convention

Don’t save a seat for Sen. Marco Rubio at the GOP convention later this month.

The Florida senator and former Republican presidential candidate will not be attending this month’s convention in Cleveland so he can focus on his own Senate re-election bid, according to Fox News.

Rubio, who decided to seek another Senate term last month, had previously planned on attending the convention, spokeswoman Olivia Perez-Cubas said Wednesday.

“Florida has always been a competitive state and it will be this fall,” Perez-Cubas said in a statement, according to Fox. “Since Marco got into the race late, he will be in Florida campaigning and meeting with voters instead of going to Ohio.”

Rubio joins the list of other prominent Republicans who will not be on hand to see Donald Trump named the official GOP nominee, including former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, 2012 nominee Mitt Romney, 2008 nominee John McCain.

In a statement announcing his bid for re-election, Rubio sought to clarify his position regarding the presumptive GOP nominee.

“The prospect of a Trump presidency is also worrisome to me,” Rubio said in the statement. “It is no secret that I have significant disagreements with Donald Trump. His positions on many key issues are still unknown. And some of his statements, especially about women and minorities, I find not just offensive but unacceptable. If he is elected, we will need Senators willing to encourage him in the right direction, and if necessary, stand up to him. I’ve proven a willingness to do both.”

Sign up for our morning blast HERE

Comments

Latest Articles