With two days remaining in the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, airports in London, New York and Los Angeles are sure to be on heightened alert following a threat made on social media.
Site Intelligence Group, which tracks the online activity of terrorist groups, reported Friday that a pro-ISIS Twitter account threatened attacks at airports in the three cities over the July 4 holiday weekend.
Pro-IS Twitter Account Warns of Attacks in Heathrow, LAX, and JFK Airports on July 4 Weekend https://t.co/nResxCNiwL
— SITE Intel Group (@siteintelgroup) July 1, 2016
The threat reportedly said planes “flying from Heathrow [Airport] to the U.S.” would be targeted and that “there will be a device placed in either Heathrow, LAX or JFK airports.”
The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria called for attacks on the West during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, saying the traditional month of fasting would also be “the month of conquest and jihad,” The Washington Free Beacon reported.
“According to Islamic practice, sacrifice during Ramadan can be considered more valuable than that made at other times, so a call to martyrdom during the month may hold a special allure to some,” a report by the State Department-led Overseas Security Advisory Council said.
And it has been a bloody month after a radicalized Muslim gunman who pledged allegiance to ISIS killed 49 people in Orlando, Florida, and three jihadists attacked Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport killing 44 people. An attack in Bangladesh on Friday resulted in at least 20 hostages and two police officers being killed — police killed six attackers and arrested one.
The BBC reported that ISIS released pictures online of five men it says carried out the Bangladesh attack — they are seen smiling while posing in front of a black ISIS flag.
“We all need to be vigilant to the global threat of terrorism – in the UK we keep all aspects of aviation security under constant review and work closely with our international partners to mitigate risks,” Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon, transport minister said, according to The Telegraph.
“We will continue to take all steps necessary to keep the public safe, but for security reasons we do not comment in detail on specific measures or operational matters.”
Sign up for our morning news blast HERE
Latest posts by Tom Tillison (see all)
- Powerful Dem’s fundraiser featured simulated Trump assassination, photos stir outrage - August 19, 2019
- Smart public toilet to detect sexual activity and douse users. What could possibly go wrong? - August 18, 2019
- ICE blasts NC sheriff for letting previously-deported illegal alien child rape suspect free - August 18, 2019