Cops pull out of working the Republican National Convention, accusations fly

Want more hot BPR News stories? Sign up for our morning blast HERE

A North Carolina police department has decided to cancel its plan to send 50 of its officers to the Republican National Convention in Cleveland in June.

Greensboro police made the decision earlier this week to back out because Cleveland has failed to properly prepare for the event. The city isn’t providing worker’s compensation coverage for out-of-town officers and asked that the officers take physicals at their own expense, Fox News reported.

Deputy Police Chief Brian James sent a memo to the city’s police chief and told him that police administrators familiar with planning events like this that he spoke with had “a lack of confidence in the city of Cleveland and their preparedness.”

“We have a responsibility to ensure that we are sending our officers to an event that is well planned,” he wrote, according to Fox News.

“We had hoped that we would have better clarification on different logistical issues, and specifically what our assignments would be going into Cleveland,” James told the Cleveland Plain-Dealer. “And we don’t have that information at this time.”

Cleveland Police Patrolmen’s Association President Steve Loomis has been sounding the alarm for months about the city’s lack of preparedness for the potential of pro and anti-Donald Trump protesters clashing, according to Fox News.

“The city of Cleveland has been absolutely irresponsible for preparation of this convention,” he said Friday.

Also on Friday a Cincinnati police spokesman said it had decided not to send officers as well due to the same concerns, plus the fact that the NAACP is holding its convention in the city on the same week.

Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams said at a news conference on Wednesday that the charge that his city is unprepared is unfounded.

“A lot has been said that Cleveland is not prepared for the RNC,” he said. “Well, I’ll tell you today, we are prepared.”

Sign up for our morning blast HERE

Carmine Sabia

Carmine Sabia

Carmine Sabia Jr started his own professional wrestling business at age 18 and went on to become a real estate investor. Currently he is a pundit who covers political news and current events.
Carmine Sabia

Comments

Latest Articles