The Trump campaign makes brave admission about that ‘$6 million it raised for veterans’

Want more hot BPR News stories? Sign up for our morning blast HERE

Donald Trump‘s campaign acknowledged that a televised fundraiser for veterans raised less than what was first announced four months ago.

Trump hosted a special charity event for veterans after skipping the Fox News Republican debate in Des Moines, Iowa in January. But the figure he shared at the end of the night turned out to be incorrect, the Washington Post reported Friday.

“We just cracked $6 million, right? Six million,” Trump had announced, including the $1 million he had personally contributed. In the days that followed the fundraiser, Trump continued to announce the $6 million.

According to Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski, the figure was actually about $4.5 million, largely due to some major contributions that were promised but never materialized.

“There were some individuals who he’d spoken to, who were going to write large checks, [who] for whatever reason . . . didn’t do it,” Lewandowski told the Post. “I can’t tell you who.”

He confirmed Trump’s personal donation of $1 million, but did not know if it was part of the total reported.

Though not the initial amount announced, the fundraiser still raised millions for veterans groups. The Post confirmed at least $3.1 million in donations had already been made to charity groups.

The remainder of the money will be going to about two dozen groups Trump decided upon, Lewandowski said, adding that the presumptive Republican nominee should not be blamed for the incorrect figure he had originally shared.

“What he said was, ‘We hope to get $6 million.’ He said this at an event where we were trying to get money. It was a best guess,” Lewandowski said. “That was his goal. His goal was to get somewhere around $6 million.”

Sign up for our morning blast HERE

 

Comments

Latest Articles