Want more hot BPR News stories? Sign up for our morning blast HERE
A new memo states that then-Attorney General Eric Holder was integral in managing the response of Congress’ investigation of Operation Fast and Furious.
Issued by House Oversight and Government Reform chairman Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, the memo summarizes 20,500 documents released to the committee investigating the program. The documents were disclosed Friday after U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson ordered their release in January.
— Oversight Committee (@GOPoversight) April 14, 2016
Designed to stop gun smuggling across the southwestern United States, the program was halted in 2010 after the death of U.S. Border Patrol agent Brian Terry.
“More than previously understood, the documents show the lengths to which senior Department officials went to keep information from Congress,” the memo said. “Further, the documents reveal how senior Justice Department officials — including Attorney General Eric Holder — intensely followed and managed an effort to carefully limit and obstruct the information produced to Congress.”
“Transparency should not require years of litigation and a court order,” Chaffetz said in a statement.
These documents illustrate the lengths to which this administration went in order to limit and block access to subpoenaed information. Calculated efforts were made by senior DOJ officials to obstruct Congress. This attempt to prioritize a political agenda ahead of facts is unsettling and unacceptable.
Chaffetz’s predecessor on the House Oversight Panel, Rep. Darrel Issa, R-Calif., weighed in:
— Darrell Issa (@DarrellIssa) April 14, 2016
Several on Twitter reacted to the news:
— ginny14974 (@CatesVc) April 15, 2016
@DarrellIssa Thank you for bravely doing your job, and " representing " the American people. Let all the [ facts ] be know, without bias.
— Shadowbanned 👻Bad Boy Club 🕵🏼♂️ (@AlternativViewz) April 14, 2016
— GearJammer671 (@TL671) April 15, 2016
Sign up for our morning blast HERE
H/T: The Blaze