Want more hot BPR News stories? Sign up for our morning blast HERE
The Chicago Police Department is under the microscope for mistreating minorities.
A task force convened by Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who is eager to save face after being caught glossing over the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald by police, launched an investigation into the CPD.
The findings were scathing to say the least:
The videotape itself, the initial official reaction, which but for the efforts of the journalist community likely would have relegated McDonald’s death to less than a footnote in the over 400 police-involved shootings of citizens since 2008, coupled with the 13-month delay in the release of the videotape—all underscored and exposed systemic institutional failures going back decades that can no longer be ignored. These failures manifest themselves in various ways:
• Death and Injury at the Hands of the Police
• Random But Pervasive Physical and Verbal Abuse By the Police
• Deprivation of Basic Human and Constitutional Rights
• Lack of Individual and Systemic Accountability
Emanuel will be under enormous pressure to make vast changes within the CPD, and it can’t come quick enough for the African-American community that’s been complaining about the system for decades.
“C.P.D.’s own data gives validity to the widely held belief the police have no regard for the sanctity of life when it comes to people of color,” the report read.
“Stopped without justification, verbally and physically abused, and in some instances arrested, and then detained without counsel — that is what we heard about over and over again.”
Obama’s ex-wingman, Emanuel is going to be busy.
Sign up for our morning blast HERE
- Rep Steve King releases scathing rebuttal and warning on Trump’s deal with Dems: ‘The base WILL leave him’ - September 14, 2017
- Beefcake cop photos unexpectedly go viral, bring relief to hurricane victims in more ways than one - September 14, 2017
- Eight of Florida’s elderly die in sweltering hot conditions at rehab center - September 14, 2017