Want more hot BPR News stories? Sign up for our morning news blast HERE
Thousands of people have taken a stand, asking that guns be allowed inside the Republican National Convention in June.
An online petition, which was started by Americans For Responsible Open Carry and has garnered more than 19,000 signatures, hit on some strong points.
The author of the petition lamented that the host venue for the event, the Quicken Loans Arena in Ohio, does not allow any type of weapons inside the facility despite the fact that Ohio is an open carry state
It called the weapons ban a “direct affront to the Second Amendment and puts all attendees at risk,” noting that Cleveland is “consistently ranked as one of the top ten most dangerous cities in America” and asked Ohio governor, and Republican presidential hopeful, John Kasich to step in and override the ban.
It asked Kasich to make “a concerted effort to use his executive authority to override the ‘gun-free zone’ loophole being exploited by the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio.”
“We are all too familiar with the mass carnage that can occur when citizens are denied their basic God-given rights to carry handguns or assault weapons in public. EVERY AMERICAN HAS THE RIGHT TO PROTECT AND DEFEND THEIR FAMILY. With this irresponsible and hypocritical act of selecting a ‘gun-free zone’ for the convention, the RNC has placed its members, delegates, candidates and all US citizens in grave danger,” the petition stated.
Here are the 5 points of action the petition is calling for. Share what you think about this in “comments.” Will you sign?
1. From the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland: A suspension of their policy preventing the open carry of firearms on the premises of the arena from July 18-21, 2016 to coincide with the Republican National Convention.
2. From the National Rifle Association: An immediate condemnation of the egregious affront to the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution constituted by the “gun-free zone” loophole to the state law.
3. From Ohio Governor John Kasich: A concerted effort to use his executive authority to override the “gun-free zone” loophole being exploited by the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio.
4. From Reince Priebus and the Republican National Committee: An explanation of how a venue so unfriendly to Second Amendment rights was chosen for the Republican Convention. Further, we demand a contingency plan to relocate the convention to another location should the Quicken Loans Arena refuse to honor the constitutional rights of the RNC guests to open carry firearms during the convention.
5. From all Republican candidates for President: You have been brave in raising awareness about the immense dangers posed by “gun-free zones.” In order to ensure the safety of your supporters, delegates and all attendees at the convention in July, you must call upon the RNC to rectify this affront to our Second Amendment freedoms and insist upon a suspension of the Quicken Loans Arena’s unconstitutional “gun-free zone” loophole. Every American is endowed with a God-given Constitutional right to carry a gun wherever and whenever they please.
Sign up for our morning news blast HERE
- Britney Spears shows off her rockin’ new bod, but had to spoil it with a liberal message about ‘Dreamers’ - December 24, 2017
- Border patrol forget they’re supposed to be heartless, deliver beautiful baby at the border - December 24, 2017
- After scoring tax cut victory, Trump sees ‘tremendous Democrat support’ for his next big initiative - December 24, 2017