A bill was introduced in the Tennessee Senate that would allow gun owners to sue for injuries sustained while in a gun-free zone if the injury could have been prevented had the person been armed.
Republican Sen. Dolores Gresham introduced the bill, SB-1736, for this stated purpose:
“It is the intent of this section to balance the right of a handgun carry permit holder to carry a firearm in order to exercise the right of self-defense and the ability of a property owner or entity in charge of the property to exercise control over governmental or private property,” the bill states.
The bill, if passed into law, will allow any Tennessean with a valid handgun permit to sue property owners for injury or death that occurs within a gun-free zone.
The right to sue does not extend to individuals who do not have a permit to carry a weapon.
The Tennessean reported:
A handgun carry permit holder who is injured by any of the aforementioned would be able to file a lawsuit within two years of when the event occurred, provided they meet the following requirements:
• the plaintiff had to be authorized to carry a gun at the time of the incident
• the plaintiff was prohibited from carrying a firearm because of the gun-free sign
• the property owner was not required to be posted by state or federal law but was posted by choice of the defendant
The duty is placed on the property owner of a gun-free zone to protect his customers from death or injury — including by wild animals.
We often hear that deaths could have been prevented — or at least mitigated — after mass shootings that occur in gun-free zones. This bill answers that problem, and may result in fewer business owners declaring their premises gun-free.
DONATE TO BIZPAC REVIEW
Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!
- ‘Act like a grownup’: Drunk driver sobs when she loses plea deal by coming 4 hours late to court - July 23, 2017
- ‘I would’ve fired her the day I met her’: Glenn Beck reveals more about Tomi Lahren mess - July 23, 2017
- Canadian thug beats 74-year-old cyclist bloody with a club in road rage fit– and they say US is more violent? - July 23, 2017
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.