If you think you know what a terrorist looks like think again.
Enrique Marquez, the former neighbor of San Bernardino gunman Syed Rizwan Farook, is currently being investigated by authorities for his possible involvement in the pre-attack planning.
Co-workers and patrons of Morgan’s Tavern, where Marquez worked, said he often spoke of “sleeper cells” ready to pounce and attack the U.S. but no one took him seriously.
“He would say stuff like: ‘There’s so much going on. There’s so many sleeper cells, so many people just waiting. When it happens, it’s going to be big. Watch,’” Nick Rodriguez, a regular customer, told the New York Times. “We took it as a joke. When you look at the kid and talk to him, no one would take him seriously about that.”
“He would come and say he just came from praying. He would just come in after and drink, which I never understood,” Rodriguez added as Islam forbids drinking alcohol.
Rodriguez said that Marquez occasionally bragged about having his security license and owning guns but he never thought anything of it.
According to Fox News:
Marquez had a security guard license in California for several years, but it expired last year. He had worked at Wal-Mart since May, but has since been fired, spokesman Brian Nick told the Associated Press.
He spoke of wanting to join the military, a fellow student at Riverside Community College told the Los Angeles Times. His brother-in-law, Raheel Farook, is a Navy veteran, serving from 2003 to 2007 and earning the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal and the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, among other awards.
Admittedly Marquez appearance and last name don’t evoke images of Osama Bin Laden, but that is the scary point.
A terrorist can be anyone, anywhere at any time and there is no way to know it.
While Marquez blended in at work and with his friends authorities believe the 24-year-old, who is related to Farook through marriage as he married Farook’s older brother’s sister-in-law, supplied at least two of the guns used in the San Bernardino attack.
Authorities believe those guns were actually for another attack Farook and Marquez planned for Los Angeles in 2012 but it appeared they were frightened off by nearby arrests in an unrelated terror case, the Times reported.
Fox News reported he is likely to be charged soon but that hasn’t stopped him from trying to downplay his role to authorities.
According to CNN Marquez told them he built pipe bombs with Farook as a hobby and bragged that if he built the bombs used in the San Bernardino attack they would have detonated.
Marquez said he had nothing to do with devices found at the home of Farook and Malik, or the ones that apparently failed to go off at the site of the shooting, the officials said.
Marquez, who has spent several days being voluntarily interviewed by the FBI, portrayed the two men as hobbyists experimenting with building the devices, the officials told CNN.
Social media had a lot to say about Marquez and the investigation.
— Vanderleun (@Van_der_Leun) December 10, 2015
Officials: Enrique Marquez says he built pipe bombs as a hobby with San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook. https://t.co/m15rPt8XyX
— CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) December 12, 2015
@cnnbrk we play sports they build bombs.. Splendid ?
— Madeline LeMasson (@MMLeMasson) December 12, 2015
@cnnbrk well now his hobby can be making chess pieces out of soap, from the comfort of his prison cell. — Lee Davenport (@HistoryFeller) December 12, 2015
@cnnbrk And where was Enrique on the day of the shootings? Initial reports said 3 suspects. His story is too suspect
— Drea (@AKB_Esq) December 12, 2015
- Britney Spears shows off her rockin’ new bod, but had to spoil it with a liberal message about ‘Dreamers’ - December 24, 2017
- Border patrol forget they’re supposed to be heartless, deliver beautiful baby at the border - December 24, 2017
- After scoring tax cut victory, Trump sees ‘tremendous Democrat support’ for his next big initiative - December 24, 2017