The Department of Justice has released the cellphone video recorded by a white man who punched an elderly black man in the face as part of what is known as the “knock-out game.”
According to a 2013 Washington Times article, Conrad Barrett became the first person to face federal charges as a result of the knock-out game:
The Obama administration filed a federal hate-crimes charge Thursday against a man whom authorities accused of using the “knockout game” to target a black man, videotaping it, and then bragging about the assault to strangers.
The charge marks the first time the administration has taken action on a “knockout” case after the game became an Internet and media phenomenon. It chose a case in which the person accused is white, even though most other cases reported in the news have involved black assailants.
Kenneth Magidson, the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Texas, told the newspaper at the time that crimes of this nature would be “vigorously” prosecuted.
“Suspected crimes of this nature will simply not be tolerated,” Magidson said. “Evidence of hate crimes will be vigorously investigated and prosecuted with the assistance of all our partners to the fullest extent of the law.”
It’s not clear if there have been any addition cases associated with the knock-out game that have been pursued by the feds.
The case involving Barrett was the first time the Obama administration, under the direction of former Attorney General Eric Holder, pursued federal hate-crime charges involving the knock out game. He was convicted last month and sentenced to almost six years in federal prison for the assault, according to the New York Daily News.
The incident took place in November 2013 and the victim, 81-year-old Roy Coleman, suffered a fractured jaw.
“For about a week now, I have been unable to go through with the plan,” Barrett is heard saying on the video. “The plan is to see if I were to hit a black person, would this be nationally televised.”
Barrett, who is bipolar, was arrested later the same day after he showed the video to an off-duty police officer, the Daily News reported.
- ‘Systemic neglect’: UK lawmakers spar over report showing low-income white kids pay price for ‘white privilege’ - June 22, 2021
- With recall looming, Gavin Newsom touts rent forgiveness plan ‘on scale never seen before in US’ - June 22, 2021
- Mayor faces revolt after banning Pledge of Allegiance; rogue element recites it anyway, gets ‘one strike’ warning - June 22, 2021