In an interview with NBC’s Matt Lauer that aired on Wednesday, Bruce “Call Me Caitlyn” Jenner opened up about his involvement in a fatal car accident on the Pacific Coast Highway earlier this year, saying his biggest fear was ending up in a men’s jail should he face charges.
In the casual “Today” interview – conducted during a round of golf in Los Angeles – Jenner spoke about how he was dealing with the Feb. 7 collision that took the life of 69-year-old Kim Howe, saying he was doing his best to move on from the incident.
“A tragedy like this, you’ll never get over it. You just learn to live with it the best you possibly can,” he said.
Prosecutors are currently weighing manslaughter charges against the former Olympian, which could land Jenner in county jail for up to a year.
“The media wants that picture, don’t they?” Jenner told Lauer. “That is the worst-case scenario… The men’s county jail. That’s the scary part.”
Witnesses have told prosecutors that Jenner rear-ended Howe’s white sedan, forcing the vehicle into oncoming traffic where a Humvee struck it head on. Jenner told Lauer he doesn’t remember much of the incident, but maintained that he had done nothing wrong.
“I remember it happening (but) that’s about it,” he said. The prospect of ending up in a men’s jail, however, seems to haunt Jenner.
“It is an enormous problem that they would put trans women in a men’s county jail,” he told Lauer.
Jenner and Lauer also discussed a handful of other topics, including a controversial Halloween costume that pokes fun at his Vanity Fair photo shoot from July.
“I’m in on the joke. I don’t think it is offensive at all,” Jenner said of the costume, adding that he tends to be more “tolerant” than most of the gay and transgender community.