A Virginia father gave his daughter a huge dose of tough love after she presented him with her phone bill exceeding $500 — he locked up all her designer clothes, jewelry and makeup and is forcing her to earn those items back by doing chores.
Excessive data usage from posting numerous Instagrams is what led Julia Cramer, 13, to be faced with the $541.36 bill, according to NBC12 News.
“My daughter told me the news about the bill when I was driving,” Jared Cramer told the station.
“She called me and said, you owe 500 and some odd dollars.”
That’s when Cramer conjured up his five-step plan.
1. Take his daughter’s phone away.
2. Put all her makeup, designer clothes and fine jewelry in one closet with a lock. Do this a week before school starts.
3. Label each item with a certain number of chores she will have to complete in order to get her phone back.
4. Give her the basic necessities to survive, like a bar of soap, deodorant and toothbrush. Also, give her three outfits from Walmart of dad’s choice.
5. Put a huge lock on her closet to send the message.
“She thought after I got that bill it was going to be a slap on the wrist, don’t let it happen again situation,” Cramer said. “But I think she’s been taking it pretty well.”
This behavior is highly unusual for Julia — she’s an eighth-grade honor student and works with special needs children, for which she received the Hanover Volunteerism Award, presented to her by the city of Hanover.
“Julia woke up at 6:30 this morning when I woke up, and she started doing chores,” Cramer told NBC12.
“She said, ‘you know what dad, I know you love me, I know I messed up, and I’m gonna work this off.’ ”
Watch the report, via NBC12:
Latest posts by Michael Dorstewitz (see all)
- ‘Act like a grownup’: Drunk driver sobs when she loses plea deal by coming 4 hours late to court - July 23, 2017
- ‘I would’ve fired her the day I met her’: Glenn Beck reveals more about Tomi Lahren mess - July 23, 2017
- Canadian thug beats 74-year-old cyclist bloody with a club in road rage fit– and they say US is more violent? - July 23, 2017