The family of Kate Steinle is suing government agencies they hold responsible for the death of their daughter at the hands of an illegal immigrant.
Steinle’s family announced Tuesday that they have filed three claims: against San Francisco Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi, the Bureau of Land Management and Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
Kate’s brother Brad Steinle, his voice breaking, said at a news conference, “We feel as though we’ve exhausted avenues, we’re frustrated and we’re here to make sure a change is made so nobody has to endure the pain that my mom and dad and I go through on a daily basis because the system failed our sister.”
“The failure to respond and make any changes says to me, that what was done to Kate was OK, that she was collateral damage,” he continued. “That she didn’t matter, and that nothing will be done to change this in the future.”
Steinle, 32, was shot and killed while walking with her father on a San Francisco pier on July 1. Juan Francisco Sanchez, an illegal who had been deported five times, admitted to firing the gun.
In July, Fox News host Bill O’Reilly called out city leaders and President Obama as being directly responsible for Steinle’s death. It appears that her family has acted on his words.
Sanchez knew the system would protect him in San Francisco, a self-declared sanctuary city, so he kept returning there.
“I’m walking down the pier arm in arm with my daughter and close friend. She stops, takes a selfie, turns around and is shot,” Kate’s father, in a heart-rending moment, told reporters. “As she fell she said, ‘Dad, help me.’ That’s my bedtime story. Every night.”
Watch the family’s emotional remarks below: