Meddling govt. gone wild: BBQ aroma leaving your property is ‘PROHIBITED’

Are they coming after our barbecues now?

Before you fire up that grill next time, you may want to check for possible code violations.

A Pinellas County, Florida, man didn’t, and ended up being the one getting burned, according to The Free Thought Project.

When Scotty Jordan lit up his grill last week, he reportedly received a visit from Joe Graham, a Pinellas County Air Compliance officer, who promptly wrote Jordan up in a complaint.

The infraction? Creating a “nuisance odor.”

Pinellas County code provides, according to its website:

Commercial barbecue cookers are not exempt from causing a nuisance odor. If a sufficient number of complaints, representing different households, are reported and an Inspector witnesses the problem, they can issue a Warning Letter.

A woman living across the street from Jordan reportedly filed a complaint with Air Compliance, which sent Graham running with his complaint book in hand.

“I can smell it again right now, but I’m on your property,” Graham told Jordan and his guests, according to a video taken of the exchange and posted on Jordan’s Facebook page. “You’re allowed to have it smell on your property, so that doesn’t count, but when I’m on the street, that’s when it counts.”

“So we’re supposed to control the smoke and the wind and where it’s blowing it?” Jordan asks.

“What you’re doing looks like it may be counter to the rule as far as the objectionable odor,” Graham said. “You have smoke leaving … that’s prohibited. I saw smoke leaving your property.” Graham said he was  going to “write it up and send it to our department.”

Jordan’s Facebook post has been shared nearly 75,000 times.

If you think you’re safe because you live in a community that’s not run by nimrods, think again. The EPA is considering similar rules at the federal level.

In a statement published earlier this year, the EPA said:

We expect to limit the overall pollution PM [particulate matter] emissions from barbecuing and to alleviate some of the acute health hazards that a barbecue pit master can experience from inhaling.

Watch the video of the encounter via Sure News.

Comments

Latest Articles