And the plot thickens.
Business magnate and top-polling Republican presidential contender Donald Trump said Wednesday that a third-party run is not out of the question.
In an interview with The Hill, the billionaire was asked if he’d consider a third-party run if he failed to win the GOP nomination.
“I’ll have to see how I’m being treated by the Republicans,” Trump replied. “Absolutely, if they’re not fair, that would be a factor.”
He added that “so many people want me to, if I don’t win” the nomination.
As for how the party is treating him, Trump expressed his dismay with the Republican National Committee, saying it’s been “very foolish.”
“The RNC has not been supportive,” he said. “They were always supportive when I was a contributor. I was their fair-haired boy.”
The RNC took Trump to task last week over his controversial comment that U.S. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., is not a war hero simply because he was captured after being shot down during the Vietnam War.
A Trump run would not be good news for Republicans.
Third-party runs, while unsuccessful, can be damaging to the party most akin to the candidate. Had consumer advocate Ralph Nader not run for president in 2000, Al Gore would likely have defeated George W. Bush in the razor-thin vote. If billionaire Ross Perot had not staged an insurgent candidacy in 1992, George H.W. Bush might well have beaten Bill Clinton to win a second term.
Trump told The Hill that he is disliked by the GOP establishment in Washington because he’s not part of the political class.
“I’m not in the gang. I’m not in the group where the group does whatever it’s supposed to do,” he said. “I want to do what’s right for the country — not what’s good for special interest groups that contribute, not what’s good for the lobbyists and the donors.”
- Andrew Giuliani lets TikTok personality ‘Crackhead Barney’ get the better of him during insane exchange - June 11, 2021
- Arrogant Acosta claims to have inside scoop as he trashes Fox News, calls Tucker Carlson ‘race-baiting tyrant’ - June 11, 2021
- BlackRock under fire amid reports private-equity firms are ‘snapping up single-family houses’ - June 11, 2021