Man dies lighting fireworks off his head; parents demand stricter fireworks controls

In what sounds like a parody of gun-grabbers’ arguments, parents in Maine are demanding stronger firework regulations after their son died over the weekend shooting off Fourth of July fireworks from a mortar tube on his head.

Devon Staples, 22, had been drinking when he set off the mortar tube despite his friends’ pleas not to do it. Others thought Devon was joking and that he would not follow through.

Cody Staples, Devon’s older brother, said he must have accidentally lit the fuse, as he would never actually do something stupid. Joking or intentional, Devon died instantly.

Despite Cody Staples calling it an accident, and the use of alcohol involved, Devon’s parents are calling for tighter restrictions on fireworks in the state of Maine – a state that hasn’t had another firework-related incident since they became legal three years ago.

The parents are asking that a training and licensing program be implemented for all who purchase fireworks.

“You’re just supplying people with bombs. That doesn’t make sense to me,” Cody’s father, Russ Staples, told the Bangor Daily News.

Social media mockery ensued.


And perhaps harshest of all:

Other highly-publicized firework accidents were reported over the weekend, including two different incidents with professional football players, and a 12-year-old who was severely burned after a “sparkler bomb” exploded in his face.

Lauren Cooley GET AUTHOR RSS FEED

Lauren Cooley is a conservative commentator, columnist, and consultant. She speaks nationwide about bias in higher education and political issues impacting young adults. Follow her on Twitter: @laurenacooley
Lauren Cooley

Comments

Latest Articles