In what sounds like a parody of gun-grabbers’ arguments, parents in Maine are demanding stronger firework regulations after their son died over the weekend shooting off Fourth of July fireworks from a mortar tube on his head.
Devon Staples, 22, had been drinking when he set off the mortar tube despite his friends’ pleas not to do it. Others thought Devon was joking and that he would not follow through.
Cody Staples, Devon’s older brother, said he must have accidentally lit the fuse, as he would never actually do something stupid. Joking or intentional, Devon died instantly.
Despite Cody Staples calling it an accident, and the use of alcohol involved, Devon’s parents are calling for tighter restrictions on fireworks in the state of Maine – a state that hasn’t had another firework-related incident since they became legal three years ago.
The parents are asking that a training and licensing program be implemented for all who purchase fireworks.
“You’re just supplying people with bombs. That doesn’t make sense to me,” Cody’s father, Russ Staples, told the Bangor Daily News.
Social media mockery ensued.
@OriginalPSP I mean, it was a mortar style one, too. Not like a little cracker. Would you launch a bazooka on your head?
— Lilu-wulf (@Lilulicious) July 8, 2015
@OriginalPSP I coughed….can I please have a regulation on breathing air?
— AJ Hughes (@Ajaxx15) July 8, 2015
And perhaps harshest of all:
.@OriginalPSP can’t raise children with common sense? I demand stricter parenting regulations.
— Night (@Rawr_Nightelyn) July 8, 2015
Other highly-publicized firework accidents were reported over the weekend, including two different incidents with professional football players, and a 12-year-old who was severely burned after a “sparkler bomb” exploded in his face.
Latest posts by Lauren Cooley (see all)
- KIDS bused to desperate Hillary event to fill seats; media multiplies 700 to THIS CRAZY number - October 6, 2015
- ‘Enlightened’ DNC Chairwoman Wasserman Schultz attempts to explain ‘religious freedom’ to regular people - July 10, 2015
- Council members craft bill to allow non-citizens to vote in DC elections - July 10, 2015